Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Come gather 'round people / Wherever you roam,

by Ziks511 / November 2, 2009 11:24 AM PST

New Bryan Ferry Album out, purely of Dylan songs. I thought I'd lost Mr. Ferry altogether

And admit that the waters
Around you have grown,
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

And why couldn't an American singer have thought to record that at this epoch making juncture. Whether you like it or not, it's the perfect counterpoint to America led by a black President.

Rob

It's frightening how many of these songs I know verbatim including Gates of Eden.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Come gather 'round people / Wherever you roam,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Come gather 'round people / Wherever you roam,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't see where it fits
by Steven Haninger / November 2, 2009 6:31 PM PST

Most of the folk songs I recall from that era were of the "gloom and doom" variety. Of course, some will say that has atmosphere has arrived again while others see hope. Those of us who grew up during that particular era probably have an erroneous notion of what "folk music" really is if we get stuck living within that narrow range of time. I suspect you haven't done so.

Collapse -
Brian "Avalon" Ferry singing Dylan is like
by jonah jones / November 2, 2009 7:20 PM PST

Nana Mouskouri singing Amy Lee

off the top of my head, the covers i remember him doing
and me not liking them were "it's all over now, baby blue"
"sympathy for the devil" and "i put a spell on you"

",.

Collapse -
I played it the night Obama was elected
by Josh K / November 3, 2009 3:32 AM PST

It's amazing how prophetic that song was. My wife thought it had been written later in the 60s, after all those things started to actually happen, and I said nope, he foresaw all of it. What a writer. Even he says he can't write like that anymore.

Collapse -
Prophetic?
by EdHannigan / November 3, 2009 6:23 AM PST

Was there a line about corrupt Chicago politcians promising change and failing to deliver?

Collapse -
Prophetic? Maybe yes and maybe no.
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2009 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Prophetic?

The times are always changing so there wasn't anything new to be said. And so who was "singing" and to whom was the tune directed? Wasn't it supposed to be us to our parents and leaders? And so where are all those youthful activists now and what sort of Eden have they created? Some, I think, have made a career out of griping about other people and blaming them for their own failure to find happiness.

Collapse -
No, there wasn't
by Josh K / November 3, 2009 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Prophetic?

It was prophetic in regard to the events that would transpire in the 1960s. OK?

Collapse -
As I am sure Nostradamus figured out....
by EdHannigan / November 4, 2009 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: No, there wasn't

if you are vague enough, all kinds of "predictions" will come true in retrospect. It's a sure bet if you say:

1. "There are huge changes on the way!"

or

2. "Nothing ever changes, it's all the same."

Then you can fit any prediction to just about any time frame.

I am not so impressed that Obama's election was that "historic" or significant in th8is day and age. What would truly be historic is if a black person had been elected and no one noticed his race at all. As it is, it seems kind of racist to me. Judging a man (or voting for him) by the color of his skin, rather than the content of his character. Now, who said that?

Collapse -
"historic" or significant
by jonah jones / November 4, 2009 1:19 AM PST

so god was walking through the garden of eden thinking to himself
"i need to hear something "historic" or significant

as he walked along he saw Obama and MLK discussing their time on earth

god walks over and says
"ok you guys, describe your time on earth in 4 words or less"

MLK says with a tear in his eye "i had a dream"

Obama says tears streaming down his cheeks "it was a nightmare"

Wink

Collapse -
I don't get it...
by EdHannigan / November 4, 2009 6:10 AM PST

Obama admitting he created a nightmare?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?