Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Comcast vista Norton and Crash

Several months ago I took the advice of my ISP, Comcast, and Installed Norton security software through the Comcast portal. During installation it asked to remove the McAfee softwaare (the previous free security suite from Comcast). After installation, my Toshiba laptop, A155, Vista Home Premium, cicrca 2007 would not restart. It keeps trying to repair itself. Will not start in safe mode. Only can boot from Knoppix disk. I called Comcast, they immediately dodged the issue. Norton in the Phillipines first sent me to their green incompetent help desk. Then I Waited over 45 minutes for "supervisor" who never came on so I hung up. Right now I am still so angry at Comcast Norton and MS, I could kill. (Vista should have bankrupted MS for the damage it has done and I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER USE OR RECOMMEND NORTON ANYTHING AGAIN.). Can anyone tell me how to turn this Toshiba paperweight back into a computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comcast vista Norton and Crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comcast vista Norton and Crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actully cause and cures are well known.

In reply to: Comcast vista Norton and Crash

1. Machines are known to crash due to "pre-existing conditions." Look at most of the XP Service Pack failures. Outside of that HP AMD SP3 debacle too many were malware damaged OSes that fail when the service pack was installed.

Same story with security suites. You take a machine with a dinged up OS and install "this" and it no longer boots the OS. This story repeats hundreds of times daily.

2. About your Toshiba. Why not use the recovery medi?. It's not like you didn't backup what you couldn't lose. Or did you?
Bob

Collapse -
Let's place blame where blame is due.

In reply to: Actully cause and cures are well known.

First, Vista is a POS OS. We all know this is true.
This machine was running well or as well as can be expected with Vista OS. It is NOT the major work computer in home or office. There were few applications on it other than Office, Quicken and DeLorme Map software.
Second, It had worked well with McAfee, or as well as any machine running that pOS Vista.
Third, I am reasonably certain that there was no malware present.
Fourth, I have burnt a recovery disk but using it will wipe my hard drive. I have some financial info that I am not sure is backed up to date. I need to start up the computer, rip what I can from the hard disk, perferably with XP so I can access Quicken, and then wipe Vista forever and install a Linux OS version.
Fifth, I asked for help and all I get from you is a nasty post. Isn't the purpose of these forums to HELP each other? You seem to be some kind of insecure narcissist touting his own knowledge and expertise which does not seem adequate to answer the query. Sounds too familiar these days.

Collapse -
I read my post again.

In reply to: Let's place blame where blame is due.

And I should not have shared what I'm seeing in the field and repair shops. You took offense on that so I hope you skipped down to where I cover what I could do next.

About Vista, while it was not well received (understatement) it does work in every machine at the office and lab. We don't have many but in our fairly controlled world where we don't use registry cleaners or tinker too much with the OS, the Vista OS runs and runs. Not well mind you but it does work.

-> But here's something I learned over the years. I shared it and you took offense. Sorry if offended you.

Let's GET OUR FILES OUT. You mention Linux. So did I at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm Fast forward 6 YEARS to now and you can use a nicer UBUNTU to get your files out. XP is not an option as there is no supported way to install that to boot up and well, no supported way that direction.

Hope this helps you help yourself. And while it may offend you, isn't this just another lesson about backup?
Bob

Collapse -
You had mentioned you burnt a cd/dvd

In reply to: I read my post again.

So all your financial info yo can do the same or send it to a usb flash drive. Darrell

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.