Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Comcast probs and questions

by rohan.katipally-208132649 / January 19, 2006 5:44 AM PST

To use Bittorrent, I according to some sites, say that I would have to port forward my ports for my router and modem. But that would require changing my IP to a static IP address, and I don't know if I am allowed to do that. I have Comcast Internet (cable), and am I allowed to do that? ...like create a static IP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comcast probs and questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comcast probs and questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Comcast. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 20, 2006 10:34 PM PST

will supply a static IP address. For a price. You can read about it at the Comcast.net site.

Collapse -
So not free?
by rohan.katipally-208132649 / January 21, 2006 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Comcast. . .

So, wait, does that mean I can't change my current IP address to a static, and just remain with one. I mean, I don't need another entire address, just need to change mine. So am I allowed to change my current one to static. And if I can't, does that mean I can't use Bittorrent effectively.

Collapse -
Not familiar with Bittorrent, but. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 21, 2006 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: So not free?

This is from the Comcast Terms of Service:

IP Addresses: Comcast will provide you with dynamic Internet protocol (''IP'') address(es) as a component of the Service and these IP address(es) can and do change over time. You will not alter, modify, or tamper with these dynamic IP address(es) or those of any other customer. You agree not to use a dynamic domain name server or DNS to associate a host name with the dynamic IP address(es) for any commercial purpose. You also agree not to use any software on or in conjunction with any computer(s) or network device connected to the Service that provides for static IP address(es). If applicable, Comcast will release and/or recover the dynamic IP address(es) upon disconnection, discontinuance, or termination of the Service or this Agreement.

Static IP address are available at an increased cost. I can't find the specific wording, but I know it's there.

Collapse -
Oh, that must stink...
by rohan.katipally-208132649 / January 21, 2006 11:13 PM PST

But there must be bunch of people who use Bittorrent. That would require you to keep one static IP address, so that you could forward the ports properly. But there must also be more people who use Comcast, so does that mean that all those people can't use Bittorrent as well. Because even if I use Bittorrent, I would often get download speeds of around 5 kbps, but very rarely they may go closer to 20-40 kbps. But still none of them are as fast as P2P, but I've heard that Bittorrent is much faster.

Collapse -
I have comcast and use a bittorrent client....
by Alex Vitale / January 23, 2006 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, that must stink...

I have comcast broadmand and use Azureus (a bittorrent client) with no problems. It never seems to disconnect and i have downloads running for several days at a time, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Collapse -
I don't have Comcast, but...........
by chuckieu / January 24, 2006 2:29 AM PST

I don't think it matters. I have used a standard dynamic
address account to both download and host a bittorrent feed on my Yahoo account with no problems. I use Linux and bittorrent. Haven't tried using my Windows XP since I
prefer the added security of Linux for things like bittorrent or servicing my web page. Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
Does it make any difference with Windows?
by rohan.katipally-208132649 / January 26, 2006 8:57 AM PST

Do you think it would make a difference if I use Windows XP? I do have the Windows Firewall that comes with Service Pack 2 activated. I am using utorrent as my client, and in the beginning it asks for configuring the bandwidth usage and ports it should use. But I just type in a random port everytime and it always ends up with a NAT error. I usually use my wireless internet from my laptop on it, not LAN. I have a WGT624 v2 router, so I don't know if that makes any kind of difference.

Collapse -
Let me clear this up
by Sully343 / February 10, 2006 12:04 AM PST

Ok, basicly were dealing with two networks here, the internet and your local network. Comcast or any other service provider assigns you a INTERNET IP address, which points all internet traffic to your router. This may be static (always the same, most common for buisnesses) or dynamic (changes every few days/weeks, most common overall).

Now when you have a router you have your own local network, which consists of the router and one or more computers attached to it. The router opperates a DHCP server which assigns a LOCAL IP to each computer on the network. This IP may also be static or dynamic.

Local IP addresses almost always start out with 192.168.*.* with the most common defaults being 192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.* An example would be your router address may be 192.168.0.1 (almost always ending in 1) and your computer addresses may be 192.168.0.101, 192.168.0.102 etc.

Now, in this situation when you connect to bittorrent your internet IP address is known to every client on the torrent, as well as what port you want to listen on. So someones client will send you traffic to your internet IP at that port example 67.178.34.72:47251. Your router will recieve this and if you don't have port forwarding set up will ignore the traffic. But say if you have port 47251 forwarded to a local address ex 192.168.0.101. The router will know to send that traffic directly to that computer.

Changing your local IP to be static is very easy and defintatly free, static Internet IPs cost money(you can run a file/web server with them) Why you need your local IP to be static is that dynamic IPs expire and are renewed at not always the same address. So one week your computer may be at 192.168.0.101 and next week its at 192.168.0.103 and your router will be forwarding the traffic to the wrong computer.

There are many portforwarding tutorials out there, check out portforward.com

If you have a firewall program in addition to your router,such as windows firewall with XP sp2 or any other personal firewall, you need to open your listening port on that program as well to prevent the traffic from getting stopped once it reaches your computer.

Hope this helps, remember when you download torrents leave your client running for a while after your done so other people can download the file ( Seed! )

Collapse -
If I had a choice
by teslook4ITJob / March 24, 2006 6:58 AM PST

We have the options of using Comcast or Cox. Why is it that Comcast dominates the nation's High Speed internet with lousy customer service?

If I had a choice between DSL or Comcast, I'd stick to DSL.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?