TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Comcast Cable

by jktaylor / January 17, 2006 12:31 AM PST

The signal strength of the incoming Comcast digital cable varies from having a good signal to having to use use a "power booster". Is there some type of regulater that can control the signal strength? I am viewing a Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Select HDTV. The picture is great providing the signal stength is correct. Thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Comcast Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Comcast Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WHAT IS A POWER BOOSTER?
by stewart norrie / January 17, 2006 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Comcast Cable

Also if your watching digital stations they are either going to look great or nothing at all and do you have the hi-def system from comcast? more info needed also please let us know what a power booster is sounds like something to make your car go faster ha ha

Collapse -
Power Booster
by jktaylor / January 17, 2006 8:28 PM PST

Comcast installed a electrically powered signal booster inline prior to any TVs. However, as the story from Comcast goes, if the signal is "over" powered it will create the tiling that is also seen with a week signal. Thanks for the help...

Collapse -
WHAT DO YOU PAY FOR COMCAST SERVICE?
by stewart norrie / January 18, 2006 5:47 AM PST

I have had the DISH NET hi-def unit for two years I pay $45.00 per month for basic+hi-def package and voom,+ an over the air hi-def tuner, Ok comcast just hooked up in my block and there fee for the same service is like about $70.00, now almost everyone on my block has a dish on there roof I would colpare prices you may be paing way to much good luck stewart

Collapse -
PIcture quality
by gerger1977 / January 21, 2006 10:41 AM PST

I just bought a Toshiba 1080p (62HM195)DLp. I have the Comcast HD box. The HD is picture is very good, but not as good as I had expected. Most standard channels are pretty bad, some much worse then others. My brother-in-law suggested a call to comcast to get the signal boosted to get a better picture. Component cables are used to connect the box. Any suggestions.. Would a HDMI help? Can you buy a HDMI for under $100 that is good???

Collapse -
Comcast Picture Quality
by cotech10 / February 2, 2007 5:21 PM PST
In reply to: PIcture quality

First, for the money Comcast charges, you shouldn't and do not need extra parts. Second, none of my analog channels are good which are 1/2 of the channels. I've had so many service calls, each saying they found something and replaced it yet the problem is still there. And besides the pixels breaking up or totaly losing the picture, we get outages quite a bit. I'm paying $145 for garbage quality. All the people I know who have the dish pay far less than I do and have great quality and no longlasting outages like the Comcast commercials say. I truly feel Comcast has too many lines and customers with below grade cables and fiberoptics. I was told by several reps when I call and complain that the equiomwent underground is not up to date yet. Some towns and areas are better because the former cable companies upgraded. I really don't buy that part, but aI do believe they're busy putting in brand new lines for new areas to scoop up customers and not upgrading all of us who've had cable for 15 years. People in new deveolments like brand new condos, new homes etc have no problems, only people who've had cable for a while. And doesn't it Piss off all of us paying high prices when they offer low prices to all new people for 6-12 months. Anyhow, there's nothing you can do. I'm switching to the dish like many of my neighbors have. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
MR COTE MORE ON COMCAST
by stewart norrie / February 3, 2007 1:43 AM PST

Comcast just wired my mobil home park, Then called me asking if I would switch from my Dish Network hi-def system to comcastComcast agreed to let me try there hiu-def service for 3 days free To see if I liked it. Picture quality was horrible s.d. channels looked like cr-p. and the hi-def channels were full of pixels and jaged. also there fees were 34% higher that the Dish network. NO CABLE FOR ME stewee

Collapse -
Comcast Picture Quality
by cotech10 / February 3, 2007 3:07 AM PST

I think the Dish is your best bet. I seriously think that Comcast is taking on way more customers than their main equipemnt can handle. As I said in my previous post the pixels constantly break apart on 1/2 my channels and did I mention snow and white dotted lines? Plus, we have their internet which is supposed to be 6 for speed. Every test we've run through Speakeasy whicjh is where they tell you to test your speed, we're at a 1-2. When they first put the speed at 6 we had it, then a month later and a m illion more customers we dropped way down on speed. Once in a while we get lucky and get a 3. So, they said we needed a new router. Ours is up to date and a good one. But still the same. The last call I made about our cable, she said we weren't getting a good signal. GEE YA THINK!!! Being that I do know electronics I know they've bitten off more than they can chew. Just like AT&t with their cell phones. Way too many customers per towers. Hence, many dropped calls. Comcast needs some real good competition or alot of us to go to the Dish and be happy and not paying the ridiculous prices for crappy picture quality, and don't get me started on the service guys that come out. Once again another company gets greedy and get a bunch of pidgeons, the consumers, to pay the price and they just keep collecting the money and telling stories about why the picutures are so bad. They actually told me to go out and buy a HD TV and all my problems would go away. Well a few of my neighbors and family have HD TV and n othing changed. They just have a large credit card bill now. Besides, considering analog makes up 1/2 their tv stations, no HD can help that. They're good at blowing smoke. One rep told me she has the Dish and loves it because she can't afford Comcast and she works for them. Hope that call was monitored.Let me know how your dish works out.

Collapse -
Comcast Picture Quality
by cotech10 / February 3, 2007 11:13 AM PST

I think the Dish is your best bet. I seriously think that Comcast is taking on way more customers than their main equipemnt can handle. As I said in my previous post the pixels constantly break apart on 1/2 my channels and did I mention snow and white dotted lines? Plus, we have their internet which is supposed to be 6 for speed. Every test we've run through Speakeasy whicjh is where they tell you to test your speed, we're at a 1-2. When they first put the speed at 6 we had it, then a month later and a m illion more customers we dropped way down on speed. Once in a while we get lucky and get a 3. So, they said we needed a new router. Ours is up to date and a good one. But still the same. The last call I made about our cable, she said we weren't getting a good signal. GEE YA THINK!!! Being that I do know electronics I know they've bitten off more than they can chew. Just like AT&t with their cell phones. Way too many customers per towers. Hence, many dropped calls. Comcast needs some real good competition or alot of us to go to the Dish and be happy and not paying the ridiculous prices for crappy picture quality, and don't get me started on the service guys that come out. Once again another company gets greedy and get a bunch of pidgeons, the consumers, to pay the price and they just keep collecting the money and telling stories about why the picutures are so bad. They actually told me to go out and buy a HD TV and all my problems would go away. Well a few of my neighbors and family have HD TV and n othing changed. They just have a large credit card bill now. Besides, considering analog makes up 1/2 their tv stations, no HD can help that. They're good at blowing smoke. One rep told me she has the Dish and loves it because she can't afford Comcast and she works for them. Hope that call was monitored.Let me know how your dish works out.

Collapse -
Dont jump to fast
by awol64 / July 15, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

I switched to DTV in February.Had the worst experience in my life with those idiots.They sent out a sub contractor to do the install had no clue what he was doing had no meter to locate the satellite just moved the dish around my roof until he found a signal drilling holes until he found the right spot.That night it poured out ruined my ceiling in my sunroom 1000 dollars worth of damage.Next picture looked like crap supervisor comes out to my house tells me he installed the wrong dish I needed the 5lnb for hi def he installs the 3 lnb.And the tree in my back yard was in the way so I wasnt getting a clear view of bthe satellites.OK cut down tree.$859 dollars(big tree)still hd looks like crap pixels etc.Everytime!!!!it rained no signal.6 different service calls and sevicemen over 4 months couldnt figure out the problem.Finally last service call he tells me that they should have nerver put a dish on my house because there are to many trees blocking the satellite that picks up most the hd channels.These trees are on the left side of my property the one the supervisor told me to take down is on the right.And on top of that he told me they are not supposed to tell potential customers to cut trees or move things they were suposed to tell me I cant have a dish.This company will do anything to get customers to sign up.And from what Ive been researching the compress there hd signal to get more channels so you lose major picture quality.My comcast HD picture looked better before I got DTV and now that I have it back it is still 100 times better than satellite.My opinion only but satellite is one big scam.Unless maybe you have an totally unobstructed veiw to the satellites. Just some info for ya That was my experience and ther customer service is by far the worst I ever dealt with

Collapse -
Dont jump to fast
by JayHanson / January 24, 2011 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Dont jump to fast

Why would you cut down a tree for the sake of TV?

Collapse -
Can you buy a HDMI for under $100 that is good???
by jcrobso / February 5, 2007 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: PIcture quality
Collapse -
OP's post was from *2006*
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2011 5:17 AM PST

I'm quite certain folks have finally figured out how to find more affordable HDMI cables not that we're in 2011 Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!