PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Combining new CPU/HDD/MB with some old components.

by Bogdanov989 / March 27, 2014 2:04 AM PDT

I am on a rather tight budget, so i am trying to make a decent PC upgrade by replacing my oldest components and combining them with the "less old" ones.

New components (not yet purchased):

CPU: INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz (strongest i5, the next one is i7 that is ~50% more expensive)

MB: Gigabyte MB - SOCKET 1150 - GA-Z87-HD3 (this one costs about 100 euro, i could go to about 180 euro if something valuable can be gained).

HDD: WD 1TB SATA III, 64MB, 3.5", 7200rpm, Caviar Black - WD1002FAEX (fastest rpm and biggest cache that i could find, rather cheap as well)

Old components (not enough money for new GPU):
Windows 7 64-bit
GPU: NVidia GTX 460

RAM: 8GB DD3 1866MHz

Powersupply: Cooler Master 550W

Personally i think the only room for meaningful improvement (within price range) would be a higher quality motherboard upgrade, but i am not sure what i would gain by doing it?

The motherboard i mentioned above already has the Z87 chipset (intel's best in the latest generation, as far as i know), and the RAM speed is within it's capabilities - also as far as i know, the i5 can be safely overclocked on it.

So what do you think of this setup?
Please feel free to offer any advice and/or suggestions as to how i can improve it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Combining new CPU/HDD/MB with some old components.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Combining new CPU/HDD/MB with some old components.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hold on. Read this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 2:07 AM PDT

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

OK, since we see the CPU isn't the usual bottleneck on gaming, are you sure you are changing the right parts?
Bob

Collapse -
current cpu is 10 years old
by Bogdanov989 / March 27, 2014 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Hold on. Read this.

My current cpu is a Intel Pentium D 940 - nearly a decade old piece of hardware.

So i am pretty sure my CPU needs to be upgraded to something newer Happy

Collapse -
In that case, it will feel great
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 3:45 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!