Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Com Port disappearing

by peterwill / December 5, 2011 12:11 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I am running a Dell 380 Precision<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> Desk top with XP Professional.I have an ICOM Short Wave radio connected via Com 3 and an OWL Electricity Monitor connected via Com 5.<div><span>At the moment both are working fine but as soon as I shut down the computer, the next boot up fails to connect the radio with any Com port. The only way I can get connected is to delete the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge and re-install. All divers are up to date. The problem has risen occasionally over the past few months but usually goes away after a time. It is now with me permanently.
<span>Hope someone can give me a steer on this.
Best wishes,
<span>Peter
</div>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Com Port disappearing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Com Port disappearing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like buggy drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: Com Port disappearing

Try other USB to UART adapters or a serial port card. There are many other solutions out there but the hard part I find is that folk usually want what they have fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
Com Port disappearing
by peterwill / December 7, 2011 11:37 PM PST

Hello again Bob,
Since my earlier post I have ahd a connection which worked well and kept me connected to the radio for 36 hours. However as soon as I closed down the computer last night I rebooted but could get no connection. Also on rebooting this morning the "Found new Hardware Wizard didn't come up either. But now I have Comms Port Com1, Printer Port LPT1, Owl Electricity Meter Com5 and Silicon Labs CP210x Com 3 all showing in the Device window but can still not connect to the radio. Do you think the radio is suspect or is it something to do with the Found New Hardware Wizard not functioning.

Peter

Collapse -
Tipping my hand a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 12:30 AM PST

I write apps that use serial ports. On Windows, Windows Mobile, PalmOS, embedded systems and more.

While I troubleshoot our systems I can't do the same over the internet. However I do know that if your story was told I'd be replacing the current USB to RS232 with something else.
Bob

Collapse -
Pay close attention to Bob's ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 8, 2011 6:13 AM PST

responses, but also be aware that it could be that because of your serial devices you will need to do a bit of modification to your Windows XP Boot.ini file.

There are several switches available for the boot.ini file that control what happens when the system boots. COM port discovery was often problematic (especially with serial mice and serial scanners and modems in various combinations) and /noserialmice was born. With Windows 2000 that got changed to /fastdetect:comnumber

I haven't had to use the switches for many years as I got away from exotic peripheral mixtures but I hope it helps you.

Here is a link to a complete explanation of the switches for your problem solving:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Collapse -
COM Port disappearing
by peterwill / December 10, 2011 1:22 AM PST

Thanks to Bob and Edward for responses. I have tried two other computers and much the same results occur. I am now sending the unit back to ICOM to ensure that it isn't the radio which is at fault. Will report back but it maybe some weeks what with Xmas and the New Year. In the meantime,
Happy Christmas to all.<div>Peter
</div>

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!