HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Columbia University president slams Ahmadinejad

by C1ay / September 24, 2007 12:19 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Columbia University president slams Ahmadinejad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Columbia University president slams Ahmadinejad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So much for everyone who said.....
by Josh K / September 24, 2007 12:25 PM PDT

...that Columbia inviting him to come up there was proof that they were a bunch of leftist, America-hating commie whatevers. They set him up but good! It's just too bad that no Holocaust survivors showed up to give him a few pieces of their minds.

Collapse -
They should have had a moment of silence....
by C1ay / September 24, 2007 12:38 PM PDT

for all of the people held in the Iran Hostage Crisis Devil

Collapse -
Yea...wasn't this guy rumored to have been
by Steven Haninger / September 24, 2007 12:42 PM PDT

identified as possibly being one of the captors?

Collapse -
You mean "students"
by Josh K / September 24, 2007 11:25 PM PDT

Yes, I do believe that there's good evidence that he was one of them.

Collapse -
Had some showed up, Josh...
by J. Vega / September 25, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

Josh, had some of them showed up in the audience, how could they have been able "to give him a few pieces of their minds"? All question were pre-submitted and there was a selection process in deciding which ones to use. Signs? No, no one was permitted to bring in signs, they even forbid 2 students from bringing in an American flag.
How do you think that it will play back home in Iran? Think about it. He sponsors terrorists, sends arms and munitions into Iraq to kill Americans, seeks a nuclear weapon, etc., and when confronted with it in a question refuses to answer and smirks.
What does he like to say about us back home? Things like we are weak, will yield when confronted- you know, the "paper tiger" routine. Now he can go back home and say that he went into the lair of the tiger, stuck his head into it's mouth, and smirked. I think that he will play it by saying that we were weak, and his "bravery" by going into the lair of the "Great Satan" and showing that their "best shots" just rolled off his back proves that we are weak and not to be feared but attacked even further.

Collapse -
They could have submitted questions in advance....
by Josh K / September 25, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

.....and been there to witness them being asked.

There's nothing we can do about propaganda. If he had been refused permission to go to Columbia (or anywhere else), he'd have spun that against us too.

Collapse -
They never should have invited him in the first place, but..
by James Denison / September 25, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

...since they did he should have been treated in the same manner any other guest speaker who has accepted your invitation to speak would be shown. We don't show how we are more civilized through acting like barbarians without the simplest of common manners toward a guest. Do you invite someone to your house and then treat them shamefully? I'd hope not. Instead you choose NOT to invite someone you can't feel civil toward, and invite those you can. If you invite an enemy, then show him how much better you are by treating him in a civil manner and not make an *** of yourself.

Collapse -
But...
by EdH / September 24, 2007 1:21 PM PDT

It gives Ahmadinejad an excellent opportunity to claim the Americans were rude hosts and have it in for Iran.

Ahmadinejad opened his remarks by saying Bollinger's introduction was discourteous, intellectually dishonest and inaccurate.

Not really much of a victory is it?

Collapse -
(NT) pyrrhic is a great word
by jonah jones / September 24, 2007 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: But...
Collapse -
The student reaction was rather tame
by Diana Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 7:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
I heard at one point he was applauded and cheered...
by EdH / September 25, 2007 1:03 AM PDT

his only mistake was in impugning gays. You can trash America, but you dast not say anything against the gays.

I am sure Ahmadinejad was very happy with this performance. Bollinger made it better by acting the bully, exactly what Ahmadinejad wants. It was a blunder to invite him and then to insult him an even bigger blunder.

I've seen Ahmadinejad on Charlie Rose and he's also been interviewed by Christiane Amanpour, among others. This trip is a big propaganda coup for him. You have to bear in mind just who the intended audience is...

Collapse -
One thing I noticed...
by J. Vega / September 25, 2007 4:03 AM PDT

One thing I noticed was Bollinger's question about what would he have said if he had gone to "Ground Zero". He was prevented from going there and presenting his propaganda speech. So what does Bollinger do? Tell him to give that speech right then in front of all of the assembled media. Talk about giving him a perfect setup, it played right into his hands.

Collapse -
I disagree
by James Denison / September 25, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

I don't disagree with what he said, but I disagree with when he said it under the conditions. If you invite a guest speaker to a function, as a host you don't get up and then speak disparagingly of him before the guest speaks. I see that as the worst sort of rudeness. If you feel you must express your opinion of the guest, then first you serve as host to your guest until he's departed. Later you can then express any opinions or dismay over what he may have said. Very rude and a blemish upon him.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.