Samsung forum

General discussion

Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Australia

by Chrisblob / October 12, 2010 6:36 PM PDT

Hi, I purchased my LA40B530 lcd TV in Australia in September 2009. The TV has performed well from the day we purchased, but we didn't take out an extended warranty. Last week I put in a BD to watch, and noticed that the TV was displaying dark shadowy parts of scenes with a very noticeable red hue. I checked to see what was causing it, and confirmed the TV was the cause - all inputs including the inbuilt tuner exhibit the problem. I read on the internet that a number of Samsung TV owners have had a similar problem, indicating a design fault. Sadly my warranty was 3 weeks out-of-date when I contacted Samsung about the problem.

Samsung arranged a tech to come look at the TV, but it will cost AU$99 to turn up, and then AU$99/hr to examine the TV. I have a bad feeling that assessment of the problem alone could end up costing a lot of money, before repair is even considered.

Would I be expecting too much if I were to request that, due to the apparent prevalence of this problem and fact that the warranty had only just ended, that Samsung cover part or all of the cost of the needed repair?

Best regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Australia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Australia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Australia
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 13, 2010 5:19 AM PDT

Chrisblob,

If you were in the U.S., I could probably help. Unfortunately, my reach is limited to North America. I don't have any way of getting in contact with someone who can review your case.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Austra
by Chrisblob / October 13, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

Drat,

A concern to me is that the problem appears to a well known one, as I have read here on cnet about users with series 5 LCD's and either green or red tint issues - I also have read on a number of other web forums about people with Samsung TV's that exhibit this problem, particularly for people who use the PC input, which I have done. Trust me this problem ruins the viewing experience. Latest firmware and a factory reset have done nothing to fix it, so in essence I now own a 40" LCD with a permanent rose-tinted filter over shadows - not good.

I could try presenting documented evidence to Samsung about the prevalence of this problem, and perhaps try to convince them to fess up its a fault with the original design, although I'd rather they just "ignore" the fact my warranty has only just expired, however the Samsung call centre person who received my call was adamant that 1 day past end of warranty was still past end of warranty, and I was around 3 weeks out.

I would be bitterly disappointed if no-one within Samsung were willing to be more forgiving considering the presented facts, and believe I would actually have a sound case with Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, as the facts are indelible - numerous people have presented evidence they have had this same problem with series 5 LCD's - plugging a PC into the PC input should NOT in any way affect the colour rendition of the TV unless a design fault led to a component failure in some way.

Best regards,

Collapse -
re: Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Austra
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 14, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

Chrisblob,

I can't suggest what to do outside of a warranty issue.

You might try calling back and seeing if someone might be able to review or escalate your situation.

That's the best I can offer.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: Colour problem with LA40B530 TV in Australia
by Chrisblob / October 14, 2010 2:33 PM PDT

Thanks for the input. A tech is actually coming to look at my TV on Monday, so I'll ask them to give, based on the symptoms, an estimate of the cost before I let them touch the TV. If it looks like costing a large sum I will contact Samsung on the spot and request a review - if Samsung do not let me have that I will not let the technician touch the TV, and just sell it as-is to recoup as much money as I can so I can replace it with another brand.

If Samsung wish to have brand loyalty, they need to understand that selling a good product is only the first part of the equation - they also need to better support those whose product is faulty, as mine as. Support for me with this issue has not been good so far.

Best regards,

Collapse -
Same problem
by RonBurgandy77 / March 5, 2013 6:26 PM PST

Im having the same problem and only recently since I connected my laptop via a VGA cable.

Now all digital pictures have a red tint to them.

Analogue/PC/Menus etc seem to be fine so its obviously a firmware rather than a hardware problem.

Ill be calling Samsung tomorrow but my TV is well out of waranty....

Did you have any luck Chris ??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?