Peripherals forum

General discussion

color printing is missing colors

by ruthinor / November 30, 2004 10:19 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion computer with windows ME operating system. It is connected to an HP deskjet 932C printer. For a while now, when I print in color, I find that I get pink and black, but no blue and yellow. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the printer. I used the toolbox to clean the cartridges and recalibrate the printer. Since this has happened with two cartridges, bought at separate times, I don't think it's a cartridge problem. I have also cleaned the surfaces around the cartridge with a damp rag. Nothing has worked thus far. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: color printing is missing colors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: color printing is missing colors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to color printing is missing colors
by Yadav / December 21, 2004 6:58 AM PST

Hello Ruthinor,

After going through the issue, I understood the issue could be with the printer copper contacts. If the copper contacts get damaged, such issue occurs. I have some steps to clean the copper contacts of the printer. I am providing them below, pelase perform them:

NOTE: You will need a clean, dry, soft, lint free cloth, cotton swabs and distilled water. (Use of cleaning agents or cleaning alcohol may damage the electrical contacts.)

1. Power on the printer and raise the printer's top cover. Wait for the carriage to stop.
2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
3. Remove the ink cartridges from the cradles and place them on their sides (with the widest side down) onto a scrap piece of paper.

CAUTION: Keep the print cartridges out of the reach of children and make sure that the cartridges are not kept outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

4. Ensure that the copper flex circuitry on the back of the cartridge is intact and not damaged.

Black HP No. 45 (HP 51645 series)
Tri-color HP No. 78 (HP C6578 series)

5. Clean the cradle contacts:

a. Position yourself at eye level with the printer.
b. Locate the cradle that holds the ink cartridge.
c. Using clean, moistened swabs, wipe the underside of each wall of the carriage where fibers may collect and come in contact with the paper. Repeat until no ink residue is seen on a clean swab.

6. Clean the print cartridges:

a. Grasp the top of the Black print cartridge.
b. Wipe the copper-colored strip on the back of the cartridge with the dry cloth. Use an upward motion, from the nozzle end to the top of the cartridge. Wipe the contacts only once.
c. Dip a clean cotton swab into distilled water and squeeze the excess water from the swab.
d. Clean the face and edges of the inkjet print cartridge. Do not wipe the nozzle plate.

CAUTION: Be careful not to touch the ink nozzles on the bottom of the cartridge or the copper contacts on the back of the print cartridge with the wet swab. Touching these parts of the print cartridge can result in clogs, ink failure, or bad electrical connection.

e. Hold the print cartridge up to the light to inspect for fibers on the face and edges. If fibers are still present, repeat steps (c) and (d).
f. Repeat steps (a) through (e) with the Tri-color print cartridge, using a clean, moistened cotton swab to avoid any contamination.

7. Reinstall the ink cartridges and ensure that the cartridge latch is in the "lock" position.
8. Close the printer's top cover.
9. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer.

This should resolve the issue.

Reply me with the result.

Arun.

Collapse -
Didn't work for me
by ppac / March 19, 2005 4:18 AM PST

Have the same situation on an HP 952C printer, magenta and black prints, nothing else. New cartridge installed, same thing. Tried everything Yadev suggested with no success. Contacts on back of carriage and cartidge appear perfect. Anything else?

Collapse -
Same problem
by pthurman / June 18, 2005 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work for me

I have the same problem on a hp 7755 - no yellow.
I have just changed the printer & cartridge and STILL have the problem !

I reckon it must be the power supply as it's the only remaining common item. I'm trying to source another one.

Collapse -
Maybe Another Solution....
by Twiztnin223 / August 2, 2005 5:22 AM PDT

Try downloading the drivers for your printer off the HP site according to your OS. If you use a Windows 98 driver for your Windows XP it may not function correctly.

Collapse -
Here is the HP answer on the topic/webpage
by Willy / August 5, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

I do suggest using a soft toothbrush and some alcohol, dip brush and gingerly brush the carriage contact area. Wipe with a clean cloth or shop towel, leave no towel residue, repeat 2-3 times, allow to dry. return ink cart, but you should wipe ink cart contacts as well. test and check results. best done with new ink cart. If results are the same, possible bad carraige cable harness or electronics on logic(rare), in eiither case, the repair cost if no warranty will suggest buy new printer. I thought any s/w issues if the test pattern HP uses fails.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=61236&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bpa00224

Further, a complete tear down to fully inspect and clean innards maybe a last resort, but usually doesn't help, but access to clean unseen areas.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?