Tablets forum

Question

College Note-Taking: Asus Vivotab Note 8 vs Samsung Note 8

I've been looking into the best computer setup at college, and have settled on building a PC and pairing it with a tablet for notes/in-class needs. Originally, I was looking into a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) but budget constraints have pushed me to the 8 inch class. The Asus VivoTab Note 8 caught my eye, but during its transition from rumors to reality the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has dropped below it in price, especially if I was to take the refurbished route.

First, am I making a mistake in assuming that an 8 inch tablet will be adequate for notes and my in-class needs? I only have experience with my aged iPad 2 and I'm not sure how much the smaller screen would affect me.

Second, seeing as the tablets are fairly similar except for OS and app ecosystem, would it even be worth it to get a tablet with Windows? As long as I can back up and transfer my notes to my desktop, I ought to be okay, unless I'm overlooking something important.

Lastly (thanks for muddling through), are there other tablets in this price range with a Wacom or other suitable digitizer I have overlooked? Or if you believe a step up would be the best choice, what tablets would you recommend? My budget could stretch slightly, depending on scholarships and such.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: College Note-Taking: Asus Vivotab Note 8 vs Samsung Note 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: College Note-Taking: Asus Vivotab Note 8 vs Samsung Note 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One minus for the Samsung.

In reply to: College Note-Taking: Asus Vivotab Note 8 vs Samsung Note 8

My neighbor picked one up and it would not stop asking him to "register" the tablet with Samsung. Samsung's servers were down for days so for me it was not a shock as he told me it was nice and all but after 3 days he worried that Samsung's penchant for tying the tablet use to their servers was one miss along with the fact they couldn't get it registered in days.

The Asus model of software looks to be more forgiving.
Bob

Collapse -
Little worried about Samsung on tablets.

In reply to: One minus for the Samsung.

Besides my neighbor's issues you see too many reports of lockups on the Note 8. The internet is unkind and won't let such issues hide.

Collapse -
Answer
Galaxy Note 8 User Chiming In

In reply to: College Note-Taking: Asus Vivotab Note 8 vs Samsung Note 8

I own a Galaxy note 8 and a few old pen based convertible notebooks. The one thing that you can't get in the Android ecosystem is the real version of Microsoft OneNote. OneNote is a great application for note gathering and organizing. One of the best features is that it allows you to search your handwritten notes. The mobile version available on Android lacks pen support, and is not to be confused with the version available for Windows. The Galaxy Note 8 does not hang up or crash in my experience... the hardware is very nice, and the pen integration is very well done. Where it falls short is with the S-Note application. It is ok for jotting down notes and doodling, but if you want to view or edit notes on your desktop or laptop later, you will be let down. It will also not allow you to search your handwritten notes like OneNote will.

All of that being said, Evernote recently added the ability to take notes by pen, and also makes handwriting (and images with text) searchable once they sync to the Evernote Servers. Once sync'd, the notes can be searched, viewed and edited from any device or web browser.

I can't comment on the VivoNote hardware, but for you I think the question comes down to software and what note taking app you prefer. The Microsoft online store sells the Asus hardware and has a liberal return policy. You might want to try it first (with OneNote and Evernote) to see if it works for you.

Good Luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.