Laptops forum

Question

College/graphics/website design-proof Laptop please!

by bamberry / January 23, 2012 4:15 AM PST

Hi guys, like everyone else here, I want to get a new laptop in a couple of months.

I've done about two or so full days of research, but the options are still confusing. I seem to be finding what I DON'T want more often than something I DO want.

Here are some of the specs I would want in a laptop as far as I can tell:

Windows machine (no macs)
2nd Gen Intel Core i3 - i5
250GB or more HD
4-6GB RAM
15.4"+ screen (what I have now)
Good ventilation/stays cool and quiet when placed on a table
$900 - less, no more than $1000

I'm beginning to get into graphics and web design so I use stuff like Dreamweaver and Photoshop regularly and my HP Pavilion clearly can't handle it. This also means I need a good screen and a good graphics card (which I know nothing about except that NVIDIA is good).

I tried the little laptop finders in the sticky post but they're too elementary or don't narrow my search as much as I'd like.

I'm seriously considering the Dell XPS 15 or the XPS 15z, maybe the HP Envy 15 though<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I'm a little weary of HP after my Pavilion. Also maybe Samsung Series 7 (screen seems a little small).

What do you guys think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: College/graphics/website design-proof Laptop please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: College/graphics/website design-proof Laptop please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tough to find that. In fact, didn't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 4:20 AM PST

While most any laptop can do this, not a single laptop looks to be college proof and not one stayed cool and quiet as I ran some video decoding.

Typing this on a rather nice Samsung rc512 but what you asked for looks a bit much. Will the usual laptops do?
Bob

Collapse -
by bamberry / January 23, 2012 12:50 PM PST

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I don't decode vids so I really don't know how much of a strain that is on the machine, I imagine at least some, which makes the huffing and puffing understandable. But what I have now (HP Pavilion dv6700) can't even handle screen brightness changes or a couple Firefox tabs without roaring like an animal which can't be normal. All the people at school have MacBook Pros with their screen brightness up and a bunch of apps open and those things are dead silent - I just can't understand it!

I'm not sure what you mean by "usual laptops" ...

Collapse -
Maybe that's the right machine?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: ..

Here I can't find any machine that met your "spec." Even MacPro's rarely make it to year 5 without a trip to the repair shop and when I run my apps (I only noted one) the fans do kick in.

This is why I wondered if the usual laptop would do OK.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?