Laptops forum

General discussion

college bound

Like everyone else thats going to college, I need a laptop. Could anybody recommend anything? Anything but Compaqs and HPs please. Price range should be around $1700 to $2300. A good quality laptop that can do all the work and entertain me for 4+ years is what is important to me.

side note*** I've always been a PC user and my knowledge with them can be judged anywhere between intermediate to advanced, so I'm not sure how I would do with a macbook. I would be really interested in getting a macbook pro if the learning curve to learning macs isn't too steep.

suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: college bound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: college bound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well

In reply to: college bound

If you really really want to stick with a PC, a sony vaio would probably be a solid choice. I've been a PC user since I could first use one (my parents have had pcs since before I was born). The only times I have used macs were in school. I got a macbook about a week ago, and the first day I had it was definitely a learning time for me. It was not totally confusing but everythign seemed like it took TOO long to do (not computer speed but the way things worked) and i turned out to be right, and I found many shortcuts to doing things with it. The learning curve was very quick for me, of course I'm still learning, but i feel like I have a sold base with this OS. I really think you should look at macs, they are great for so many things. I love mine, and everyone I know who has a recent mac loves theirs too. (remember, they run windows now too)

Collapse -
Personnally ...

Personnally, I can't work well on a Mac OSX operating system. I can't work fast so I lose my nerves and I shut down everything ( normally, I can't work longer than 15 minutes on it ). Since I'm 5 I work with Windows-based systems ( from Windows 95 to Vista ). I'm simply not able to work with Mac. At school, we must work with this to create animated cartoons and I'm so frustrated on working on Mac computers that I bring my Dell Inspiron E1505 with me to work on my cartoon ( I have the same software but in Windows version ). I can't work with the Mac interface; I must have my taskbar at the bottom with all the open windows, not a bar on the right with icons that don't have any report with what I'm doing. And who has invented this idea to always have the "file, edit ..." bar of an application in top of the desktop ?!

Finally, Mac is not for me ... Sure, everybody is different and maybe you'll get a better atitude than me with Mac...

Collapse -
i feel the same way.

In reply to: Personnally ...

we have mac g5s at school or whatever they are (my knowledge about macs is really limited. can you tell? =]) for our video and computer art classes and i'm the same way. i found it hard for me to adjust. especially when i'm trying to do things on it that i could do on a pc like shortcuts or something. i thought it would be different if i got a mac book... but i guess not =/ i was always learning more towards getting a pc anyway. thanks for your input

Collapse -
I had the same question 6 months ago...

Hey there. I had the same question of which PC computer to get for grad school (since I am anti-mac). I needed something for word processing, entertainment, etc. and something that could be repaired if anything were to happen to it here in the States or in Europe. I settled for the dell xps m140 (now the e1405), and it is fantastic. It is pretty light so it is easy to lug between the dorms, class, library and Starbucks, the screen resolution is phenomenal, and it is pretty affordable for what you get. Other bonuses are: it looks good, it doesn't run too hot on the bottom so no hot laps, when the fan kicks in you can hardly hear it (and that is in a very quiet environment), keyboard is a nice size and not too noisy, and finally it has a decent battery life. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
ah.

In reply to: I had the same question 6 months ago...

i was looking at this laptop not too long ago! everything looks great on it (especially the price). however, what made me look for other options is that its almost a couple years old =[. is it still working good for you? i was really considering getting it, if its still on the market. thanks for your input.

Collapse -
Still in love with it!

In reply to: ah.

Hey there! I got this computer last September, right when they switched the XPS M140 over to the Inspriron E1405. I got a pretty good deal on it though, since I bought it new from a dealer on ebay (cheap as chips and it came with everything plus a year warranty). The e1405 is still pretty new and unlike mine has the dual core processor and the hard drive has been redone with a shock absorption system, but otherwise they are still the same. I use this computer heavily every day and I have not had one thing go wrong with it, and that includes lugging it back and forth between California and England. It is pretty fast (I have a 1.8 ghz processor 1 g memory 80 g hard drive) with multiple applications running, plus I enjoy watching my movies and TV shows on it, because the screen resolution is really nice and the speakers have surprisingly good quality. Hope this helps!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.