Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Coffee Clatch

by James Denison / November 3, 2008 1:06 AM PST

I propose asking CNET to rename this forum to Coffee Clatch. It seems much more in line with the stated intentions than a Speakeasy. Vote Yes or No by posting.

A casual social gathering for coffee and conversation.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coffee+klatch

Speakeasy;
A place for the illegal sale and consumption of alcoholic drinks, as during Prohibition in the United States. a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter; "he drowned his sorrows in whiskey at the bar"
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/speakeasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakeasy
The term comes from a patron's manner of ordering alcohol without raising suspicion ? a bartender would tell a patron to be quiet and "speak easy".

Speakeasies became more popular and numerous as the Prohibition years progressed, and also became more commonly operated by those connected to organized crime. Although police and federal Bureau of Prohibition agents would raid such establishments and arrest the owners and patrons, the business of running speakeasies was so lucrative that such establishments continued to flourish throughout the nation. In major cities, speakeasies often were elaborate, offering food, live bands, floor shows, and stripteases. Corruption was rampant; speakeasy operators commonly bribed police either to leave them alone or at least to give them advance notice of any planned raids.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Coffee Clatch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Coffee Clatch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
in true democratic fashion, since...
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Coffee Clatch

...no one has voted NO, I think we can safely assume everyone would like to see a name change. yes?

Collapse -
doesn't matter
by oldie and goody / November 3, 2008 3:10 AM PST

to me what they call it. What I see is a great big drop in posts. Hopefully after the election people will have something else to talk about and the forum will pick up again.

Collapse -
A name change might be ok
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 2:14 AM PST

I'm not sure about your choice...sounds a bit uppity (oops, already discussed that word...can't use it). Maybe too elitist (nope, that won't work either...it's an insult). It's foreign too...isn't it? (we gotta find us a more American word).

Maybe just leave it alone for now. Maybe it doesn't fit and it's a little beat up but not that uncomfortable. Happy

Collapse -
after all those Starbucks?
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 2:28 AM PST

just too much too?

Collapse -
I've never been in one
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 2:41 AM PST

I've yet to figure out what the dress code is in places that can charge that much for tooth enamel stain. Wink

Collapse -
A rose by any other name.....
by Angeline Booher / November 3, 2008 2:52 AM PST

IMO. Coffee Clatch more envisions groups of ladies pouring coffee from a silver pot while munching on cucumber sandwiches (without crusts, of course).

As our Speakeasy holds its rating to PG 13, the Prohibition-days scenario hardly fits.

The name has suited us well for over a dozen years. People have learned what the name means here. it's the community's gathering place, its living room or family room, if you will. A place to relax, to kick back, and have some good conversation.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
The character of the forum changed since then.
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 3:03 AM PST

It's true there was more open discussion then about almost any subject, but that character of the forum has changed to one that would more aptly fit a coffee clatch in which all agree to avoid controversial subjects so the smiles may continue. Another cookie with that second cup of coffee?

Collapse -
Two were once a no-no
by Angeline Booher / November 3, 2008 3:21 AM PST

Then members showed they could discuss religion like adults and be civil and respectful as they were several years ago.

The other cannot return to as it was. That was a decision
made by members who were not interested in discussion, just as before.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I must have missed that vote.
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Two were once a no-no

Is there a link?

Collapse -
This is another discussion
by Angeline Booher / November 3, 2008 3:33 AM PST

.... that has ended.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I must have missed that vote.
by JP Bill / November 3, 2008 3:33 AM PST

Every post that was made was a "vote"

Some cast more ballots than others.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!