Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CODEC?

by msheltra / April 2, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

I am having a problem downloading from a site named deephousepage.com. It seems that some of the files will download and allow me to save in Windows Media Player, and others won't. They will only play in RealPlayer. I downloaded the trial version of RealPlayer but perfer to use Windows Media Player as this is were all my other music files are (and you don't have to pay for it). How can I download a CODEC to allow these files to play so I don't have to pay the 12.99 a month that RealPlayer is asking for? I'm running a HP Pavillion 6000 series notebook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karlton...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CODEC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CODEC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Real alternative.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: CODEC?
Collapse -
CODEC ?
by msheltra / April 3, 2006 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Real alternative.

Hey thanks for your help, I will give it a try and let you know how it works.

Thanks again

Collapse -
a Reply to CODEC?
by danthevan / April 2, 2006 6:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Codec finder
by phantazy / April 2, 2006 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: a Reply to CODEC?

www.headbands.com/gspot/ You can drag n' drop your file name and this will show whatever codec required.

Collapse -
CODEC ?
by msheltra / April 3, 2006 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Codec finder

Thanks for your input, I will try headband and see where it leads me.

Thanks again...

Collapse -
CODEC?
by msheltra / April 3, 2006 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: a Reply to CODEC?

Thanks for your help, I will try these alternatives and let you know how they work.

Thanks again..

Collapse -
Real Alternative
by joesmithers06 / April 2, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

The problem with Real Alternative, unless this has changed with WMP9 or 10, is that Windows Media Player simply cannot play Real media files, even with Real Alternative installed.

HOWEVER, Real Alternative does come packaged with a great little media player app, that's my personal favorite, MediaPlayer Classic. For such a small program, it packs in a very impressive set of features. It can also play Real and QuickTime files, in addition to anything else you have a codec for.

Collapse -
Success here. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Real Alternative

I can't see why it works for me...

Another mysterious mystery.

Bob

Collapse -
It didn't
by joesmithers06 / April 3, 2006 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Success here. Why?

With WMP 8 on down, but I haven't used 9 or 10, so maybe it does with those. Does QuickTime also work now?

Collapse -
Quicktime isn't on this machine, but I can play content.How?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: It didn't

I use the QuickTime Alternative... Bet you saw that coming.

Bob

Collapse -
CODEC ?
by msheltra / April 3, 2006 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Real Alternative

Hey thanks for that suggestion. I am going to download Real Alternative and see how it works. I'lll let you know.

Thanks again...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!