Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

CNET Sucks now

by --l--- / December 29, 2013 9:24 AM PST

OMG Look at this trash mongering, AD-Ware spaming web-site has become. It is time for a new CNET that doesn't have **** all over its hands. You can not even get a download without agree to have thier Ad-based loader. How can you trust them to not be in bed with a lame program source anymore. Look for my new web site to set you free.

~ Happy New Freedom ~

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET Sucks now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET Sucks now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cnet Criminals
by jamok99 / January 1, 2014 1:51 PM PST
In reply to: CNET Sucks now

So, it appears Cnet has gone over to the 'darkside' and compromised its downloads with trashware like conduit without alerting its users. The savvy among us will take a ton of time to remove this malware and never use you again - the breach of trust is nothing short of criminal. The savvy will spread it to all their contacts that Cnet has become a money-grubbing ***** for malware. I feel sorry for those who don't know better yet. I fervently hope some advanced hacker compromises Cnet's site, making Cnet spend all the time its cumulative customers have spent in un-crapping their machines after download to get their cite running again. Better yet if Cnet diappears entirely, and the company be sued for misrepresentation of services, violation of consumer privacy, whatever will croak them for good. Shameless

Collapse -
About the Download.com Installer
by CNETSupport / January 3, 2014 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Cnet Criminals

We appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with the appropriate site managers.

All products on Download.com are downloaded, installed, and scanned for viruses and malware before being published in our library.

Many software titles on our site do use the Download.com Installer, which securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer also shows offers for additional, free applications provided by our partners.

All offers included in the Installer are tested to make sure that they are safe and conform with our security policies, and to ensure that they may be declined or opted-out of during the download. All offers are optional; you are not required to install any additional applications to receive the software you selected.

However, if you prefer not to use the Download.com Installer, you can simply click the Direct Download Link that is provided on all Installer Enabled product pages instead.

Read more about that option here:

http://t.cnet.com/15t7hv0

For more detailed information on the Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/1dSQYi4

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

Collapse -
Enough trash already
by jamok99 / January 3, 2014 9:43 AM PST

If Cnet was an honest broker, rather than the malware ***** it appear to have become, you would do the right thing:
Rather than have your users have to interpret non-transparent rules and rituals to *keep* from installing malware along with their download, you would:
1. Require your software suppliers (masters?) to get *explicit permission* to install the malware, rather than passive lack of such permission *not* to install it, as is now the case.
2. You would post clear instructions, or require your software partners to do so, on how to remove any and all traces of their malware, and if neglected or inadequate, refuse to host such downloads.

As it is, I'm still struggling to remove the remains of conduit's malware, given that uninstalling the program doesn't nearly do it. As it is, it appears that permanent damage has been done to my system - I can change the default page back from Conduit search to what it was, but it's completely screwed up my system of preferred/most visited sites, which needs to be rebuilt by scratch.

Until you act as honest brokers, whenever I hear Cnet mentioned my reaction will be, "Be afraid. Be very afraid." (And run like hell.)

Collapse -
CNET has no integrity anymore
by EKeegh / May 5, 2014 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Enough trash already

I agree. Although you do provide a direct download link, you make it very hard to locate compared to the huge green "DOWNLOAD NOW" button. And although you do make it possible for users to "opt out" of malware, the gray "decline" buttons are not nearly as noticeable as the bright green "ACCEPT" button. And the way it's worded, users are likely to think that when they press "decline" they are declining the installation of the app they wanted, rather than the "special offers".

CNET, if you were honest, you would acknowledge that you are resorting to confusion and deception to trick users into installing malware, and if you had integrity you would stop doing it. Jen's reply above shows that you as a corporate culture are in denial about the severity of the problem.

"CNET" was once a brand that I used to associate with trustworthiness. Now you've ruined it, and unless you publicly acknowledge you have a problem and take steps to fix it, not only will I never again use CNET, I will warn all my friends on Twitter and Facebook and whatever other social media I can think of. Also, since I work for an IT consulting company with hundreds of clients, you can be sure my voice will reach a large number of people.

Collapse -
A change is needed
by tedtks / May 21, 2014 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Enough trash already

granted - they have to find ways to finance Cnet... BUT.... I have done my last "program update" via
cnet due to all the stuff they want to add to my system - If I wanted them I would have loaded
them MYSELF ! it took me better than an hour to uninstall, and then clean up after them, and I
still run into folders etc. that are still left behind in places I didnt think to look the first time.

EVEN tho I had clicked on the " almost invisible" "skip this" note.
that conduit thing is one nasty piece of software.

I now do updates via thier respective home sites and get clean updates.

Collapse -
Cnet Even Lies About Its Lies!!
by jamok99 / June 25, 2014 3:26 AM PDT

I tried 'vote' on Cnet's lame response, trying to rationalize why it isn't peddling malware with its downloads (above). Funny thing is, I voted 'thumbs down', since I think, the Cnet author, "Jen", has written a defense of Cnet practices that doesn't hold any water. It *refuses* to let me vote 'thumbs down' on whether this reply was helpful, telling me there was an 'error' and try to vote again, only that 'error' appears every time. there are 8 'down thumbs' vote, and 0 'upthumbs'. Makes me believe that Cnet sets a limit on how many people can call them out on their lies before they don't let any more 'negative' votes accumulate. 'Voter fraud' - another reason to avoid using or supporting this site in any way. May Cnet die - quickly, please.

Collapse -
man i feel the pain,
by servivigiledeus / June 28, 2014 12:27 AM PDT

so after rushing through a cnet download because i trusted their reputation in the past i too got slathered in adlware and will have to wipe my comp to be sure no traces of the adware they pushed onto me remain, i can no longer control vital features of my machine and with this breach of trust so too the trust in your security protocols, thus a complete system wipe has become nessecary, to add insult to injury in order to lodge my complaint i was also forced to sign up for their newsletter which undoubtedly involves the distribution of my email address and the personal data associated with it to third parties. using a junk mail account will only partially secure my communications via email but the personal data is still right there for third parties to use as they see fit. so essentially cnet has gone from clean legal p2p network, to a filty adware infested cloneware distributor, bent on squeezing those who once upheld the integrity of cnet for every penny they can by turning the master into the servant just like our corrupt gov't. when all consumer confidence has been burned away by these unsolicited offers and forced data collection, and possibly distribution all the fine print in the world wont keep cnet from total bankruptcy. the ceo's will be kicking their shins once they realize they traded their inheritance for a petty bowl of lentil soup. i dont shame cnet or even feel angry, i can fix this with some minor burdens, but i pity the cnet staff, for the pain they bring upon themselves because the small inconveniences their practices cause spread out over many multiples of consumers will tally up to a bad reputation that will evetually claim cnet unless they change. cnet was built to be a public service first and a for profit organization second, forsaking this is tantamount to social suicide. you ought to come back to your roots if you want to see your profits return and your business healthy again. this kind of fascist behavior is like putting the buisness on meth, sure you get a good boost and a quick high but its killing you every day. one day it will catch up to you all of the sudden and cnet will be in a casket just like every other sellout on the market. let's get it together and you can start by offering a trashware removal system, and swearing not to share information with third parties do this and i'll come back every time and even actually read the newsletter, right now though cnet is less trustworthy than mainstream media and that's saying something. forsaking consumer confidence is the same as forsaking your investors and indeed cnet itself. this needs repair badly, whoever sold you this model was a crook, and an economic drug dealer, stick to focusing on customer satisfaction, and youll see cnet come back to life, otherwise i wouldn't invest a single dime. this is a public outcry and youd be unwise to ignore it if you care about the long term at all.

Collapse -
Download.com
by Steve71rox / July 6, 2014 3:28 PM PDT

Description insists it's scanned for viruses, etc. Just downloaded it and my ZoneAlarm caught 2 viruses.

Thus, NOT securely delivered. Why is Support not tracking constantly ?

Collapse -
Looks like CNET does suck now
by theDon_1960 / June 4, 2015 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: CNET Sucks now

tried to install Free MP4 to AVI Converter, some kind of browser tried to install itself. Tried another app, and a toolbar was installed. Malewarebytes detected and removed a toolbar.Looks like CNET no longer cares. There is supposed to be a report a problem link on the software site, but no more. Shame on you CNET. You have lost my trust.

Collapse -
We apologize for any inconvenience here.
by DownloadSupport Download.com staff / June 5, 2015 12:31 PM PDT

As mentioned on this thread back in January 2014, many software titles on our site do use the Download.com Installer, and during the process, the Download.com Installer does show offers for additional, free applications provided by our partners. Some individual software publishers include such offers in their own installers too.

All offers, whether included in the Download.com Installer or in individual publishers' installers, must conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and must also provide a working method to decline or opt-out of them during the download.

You are never required to accept any offers in order to complete a download, but you will want to keep a close eye out to be sure you see and have a chance to select the decline or opt-out option for any third party offers you do not want.

Although you cannot avoid using a software publisher's own installer when downloading their program, if you prefer not to use the Download.com Installer, you can simply click the Direct Download Link that is provided on all Installer Enabled product pages.

Read more about that option here:

http://t.cnet.com/1hjhgMb

For more detailed information on the Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/1dSQYi4

If you would like us to re-test any particular download, please send us a report by filling out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

In the "Description" section of the form, please be sure to include all of the following information:

1. The link to the Download.com page for the specific software you downloaded

2. Which specific link or button on the page you clicked to start the download

3. What operating system you are running

4. What browser and which version you used to download

5. What country you were located in at the time

6. What antivirus software you have installed, including version number

7. The specific flags, warnings, or detections you saw, and/or the names of any additional programs that were installed

When you are done filling out the form, click the "Submit" button. You will receive an automated confirmation email right away, and a message from our support team will follow, usually within 24 business hours.

You can access the support contact form, and our FAQ section, by clicking the "Download Help Center" link at the very bottom of any Download.com web page (in the "More" column there). From any FAQ page, just click the "Submit a Question" link in the upper right corner to go to the contact form.

If you have any trouble uninstalling unwanted applications from your machine's Control Panel, we recommend using one of the programs listed in our uninstaller software category:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/uninstallers/

You will then want to remove or disable any unwanted add-ons or extensions from your browsers, and may need to reset your search and/or home pages as well.

If you need any further assistance with those steps, please see the following page for additional instructions for the most common browsers:

http://download.cnet.com/2701-2023_4-2006-1.html

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.