Phones forum

General discussion

CNET reviews lack cost consideration of operating phone

by zlandar / December 3, 2007 4:38 AM PST

This is something that has been really irritating me when I read the reviews here. Anyone who owns a smartphone or PDA phone knows that the initial cost of the cell phone is peanuts compared to the actual monthly costs of operating the phone. All the major phone carriers charge what I consider excessive data charges. Most "unlimited" plans charge roughly 40 dollars a month, which would double most people's monthly fee. Over a two year contract that works out to almost a 1000 bucks.

So when analyzing a PDA-type phone, the first thing I ask is "does it have WiFi?" Without this function you are basically consigning yourself to either those monthly data charges or using your PDA phone as a regular cell phone. Granted you do not have the flexibility of using your device anywhere, but you also don't have to shell out 40 dollars a month extra. The choice is up to you, as it should be.

I recently left one cell phone carrier for another because they refused to offer PDA-style phones with WiFi. I have no proof they purposefully stripped the function, but it's pretty odd how only one PDA phone by an obscure manufacturer is WiFi-enabled while similar product lines by other carriers have the option of WiFi.

To sum this up, I can't think how a product review can be complete where the actual costs of running a phone as reviewed is not discussed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET reviews lack cost consideration of operating phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET reviews lack cost consideration of operating phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 6:16 AM PST

Should they supply costs for each town in the US? It varies with not only location, carrier, but what specials are underway at the time. Dang them for their incomplete reviews.

Bob

Collapse -
Cost
by zlandar / December 3, 2007 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

When you consider that a cell phone plan + data plan can push the cost of a monthly cell phone bell close to a 100 dollars a month, I don't consider that some trivial fact. A review should be geared to protect the consumer, not the product manufacturer and cell phone company. When I received my Tilt phone the first thing I did was to figure out how to avoid data charges. The only reason I knew to do this was browsing detailed review forums where users posted their experiences and tips. The phone itself has no way of turning off data access and I noticed the phone hopped onto the 3G network despite being connected to my home network. Only after learning you can actually call ATT and tell them to turn off data access to your phone (not listed anywhere in the manual or provided as an option when I ordered the phone) was I safe from the ridiculous high data charges ALL cell phone providers have. I remember reading how iPhone users who went out of the country had outrageous data charges despite their attempts to manually stop data usage (useless because the phone passively connects to check email).

If everyone at CNet considers the highest cost of the cell phone (the monthly fee, not the initial cost itself) as trivial, well so be it. Maybe the reviewers here are afraid of being Gamespotted.

Collapse -
Be sure to add that to the user comments at the review.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Cost

Given how volatile that pricing is (I have a plan with a biz for under 18 a month for data, all you can eat) your price point of 100 must be the gold standard for fleecing.

Bob

Collapse -
MISTER El CHEAPO
by dpnolen / December 4, 2007 8:53 AM PST

You have got to be the cheapest person in the world. It's like saying that I want to buy a Ferrari or Porsche, but i want it to perform best on 87 octane gas. Either buy a basic "cell phone" or quit griping.

Collapse -
Well...
by Danwo / December 4, 2007 3:17 PM PST

The prices are about the same across the board, so it's consideration is not really necessary.

And the kind sir above me lacks the understanding that the structure of the wireless industry has the consumers', well, *ahem* jewels in a vice. Forty dollars a month, simply put, isn't necessary; PDAs and smartphones aren't that nice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?