Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Cnet PS3 review

Hey guys, i dont know if im posting this in the right section or not but i saw no option to comment on reviews, and there were a few things i wanted to bring up about this one-

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/sony-playstation-3-80gb/4505-10109_7-32733576-2.html?tag=txt;page

particularly the "cell inside" section.

"The 360 uses more off-the-shelf PC components, while the PlayStation 3's 3.2GHz Cell processor was built from the ground up just for the console."

incorrect here, the 360's processor was also built from the ground up by IBM, as was the PS3's.

"As with the graphics chip, the PS3's Blu-ray drive--which allows for games of 25GB to 50GB in size--has yet to show a big advantage over the 8.5GB limit of the Xbox 360's DVD media."

i assume they meant Cell processor instead of graphics chip here, as the two consoles graphics chips are nearly even, with the 360 having a slight advantage due to unified shaders. so since their nearly even, how would the PS3's graphics chip be an advantage?

"It consists of a single PowerPC-based core with seven synergistic processing units and is the result of a joint effort between IBM, Sony, and Toshiba, which was ironic, considering that Sony and Toshiba were in a deathmatch over Blu-ray and HD DVD."

not a big deal but they probably should have mentioned that only 6 of those SPU's are available to developers, as one is reserved for the OS at all times.

i hope im not coming off as a fanboy here since i do think the PS3 is a great console, i just wanted to point out some errors in the review, apart from which the review is very well written.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cnet PS3 review
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cnet PS3 review
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To be honest with you

In reply to: Cnet PS3 review

To be honest with you, and I'll preface this by saying I am in no way affiliated with Cnet or its new corporate overlord CBS, but no one at CNet is really going to care.

The audience they are after is the less discerning consumer. Someone who really doesn't care about all the technical details of the console hardware, but just wants to know the release date of some new game they want.

Articles on the console hardware is just there for the occasional person, like yourself, who might care. But obviously not a great deal of care is taken to make sure everything is completely accurate. Most people probably don't have a clue what a shader is or care for that matter.

I think in general you will find that suggestions tend to fall upon deaf ears at Cnet. Which might explain the financial difficulties that lead to CBS stepping in to save Cnet from entering the drain it had been circling for quite some time. All this BEFORE the recent major economic slowdown. But that's just my own personal bit of conjecture, you can take it for whatever it's worth to you.

And for whatever else it's worth, I would say you came off as anything but a "fanboy". You managed to avoid including any comments like "PS3 rulz!" or "PS3 ownz da 360". Basically anything that makes you look like a severely mentally ******** 8 year old.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: To be honest with you

well thanks for the reply, im glad i dont come off as a severely mentally ******** 8 year old to you, lol.

Collapse -
also

In reply to: thanks

should have also added that the GPU only has half the bandwidth of the 7800 it was built like.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.