Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CNET now has "Borked" Links?

by James Denison / October 14, 2011 4:09 AM PDT

Ignoring the fact the link I clicked on was from CNET, why is CNET using the term "borked" on their error page? Don't they realize the term is offensive? Why couldn't it be a "Kinged" link, since that would be stronger since MLK was shot and killed. Or maybe a Kennedy Link since that would be stronger as two of them were killed. If considering Chappaquiddick it could deliver multiple insinuations. Perhaps it could be a "Gored" link, making both a play on the term "gore" as normally used and the name of a presidential candidate that some still think had an election stolen from him? Or maybe a Lincolned Link which sort of flows better too. Why Bork?

Then again, why can't it just be a "broken link" like most everyone else terms it on their 404 page?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET now has "Borked" Links?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET now has "Borked" Links?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
methinks you delve to deep
by jonah jones / October 14, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yeah, I delved there too.
by James Denison / October 14, 2011 4:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
I brought this up in the Feedback forum
by Josh K / October 14, 2011 7:24 AM PDT

It's a term with partisan political origins, and I think CNET should change the page.

Collapse -
I looked it up...
by J. Vega / October 14, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

Instead of an "urban" dictionary, I looked it up in a well-recognized reference book. It was "Dictionary of American Slang" by Robert L. Chapman, Ph.D,
It said :
bork or Borked, late 1980's 1 v To mount an intense campaign against a political appointee : =BUSH/WACK:"We're going to Bork him, " proclaimed a feminist advocate--New Republic
2 n: ...close ranks to coordinate a huge preemptive bork --New Republic
[fr the experience of Judge Robert Bork, whose 1987 nomination to the Supreme Court was rejectedby a strong concerted opposition}

Collapse -
I found it
by James Denison / October 14, 2011 11:17 AM PDT

& added my objection to the term usage to yours.

Collapse -
When I think about that
by Steven Haninger / October 14, 2011 8:01 PM PDT

Depending on the context, I can see that it could be used as an offensive weapon by either party. The broken link message during that time appeared to be an attempt at light humor and was, IMO, rather silly. But I don't see a reason why anyone out there should start jumping up and down and risk having a heart attack over it.

Collapse -
It seems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 8:10 PM PDT

that CNET has employed writer who lacks certain skills. Or may be it is just the modern way.

Have a look at the How To page and scroll down to where people can "Ask a Question".

The message box says, "Now add some detail so that smart CNET users (like you!) can answer...."

I think the (like you!) may have been added as an afterthought. Otherwise it would have meant 'some smart CNET user, (which you are not, obviously)!'

Whatever happened to the old values? Borked link indeed!!

Mark

Collapse -
I saw that
by James Denison / October 14, 2011 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems

and figured it was Lee, since it was so much like his answer of the week he was doing, and having read enough of his posts over the years I automatically interpreted as I knew he'd have used it, as being upbeat and encouraging, therefore sort of missed how others who might not realize that could take it.

Collapse -
Here's another oddity from the Buzz Out Lounge
by James Denison / October 15, 2011 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: It seems

Is the repetition for effect, or just an oversight?

http://forums.cnet.com/buzz-out-loud-lounge-forum/

Buzz Out Loud Lounge forum

Create a New Discussion
Get Started Here

CNET's
Buzz Out Loud Lounge is where you chat with fellow fans of the popular of the popular Buzz Out Loud podcast. Discussions center on the latest hot technology issues, featured commentary, special guests, and witty banter.

Collapse -
I've reported you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 7:19 AM PDT

I said,

Not Offensive!

Lee, James has found an error in BOL's forum description. Should that get fixed or shall I kill James? Happy

Mark

Devil

Collapse -
wow, just a few days ago, you were applauding the lack...
by grimgraphix / October 14, 2011 12:30 PM PDT

... you were applauding the lack of trolling comments... and now here you are searching out reasons to link a political foot note in history to commonly used computer slang. Consider the fact that this site is mostly devoted to computers and computer technology rather than politics. Now consider that your complaint ignores this fact AND smacks of conservative politically correctness (something that you have openly derided on many occasions).

Come on man, are you really so bored that you have to go searching for stuff to create a political tempest in a tea cup here on CNET ?

Just... sad.

Angry

Collapse -
LOL, you are a hoot sometimes!
by James Denison / October 14, 2011 1:22 PM PDT
Grin
Collapse -
Based on your statement
by James Denison / October 14, 2011 1:54 PM PDT

I didn't say I was personally offended by the term. I don't use it.

"you are searching out reasons to link a political foot note in history to commonly used computer slang"

OK, separate from any political foot note, where would you say this "computer slang" originated? I don't think the description of "computer slang" really applies.

I first consulted several dictionaries to ascertain the etymology of the term used, in case my initial suspicion was incorrect. I discovered however I was correct in suspecting it traced back to one good man and the unfair travail he endured. Such casual use of a term derived from his name, considering what Robert Bork endured, seems inappropriate for a business site.

I think usage of the term "borked" fails to meet the image CNET might prefer to present.

Collapse -
Why "bork"?
by Mike_Hanks / October 19, 2011 10:55 AM PDT

Most likely a 20 something doing the coding and has no idea what "Borked" means.

Collapse -
If all links have to be passed by censors now,
by crowsfoot / October 20, 2011 7:30 PM PDT

would somebody please look at mine in the "Ask dark matter question" thread and get a move on! If that's not the problem, I have a question.

Collapse -
If you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 7:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
That one
by crowsfoot / October 20, 2011 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: If you mean

and about four more. I'm not doing this for my health. I think some things are interesting.

Collapse -
Well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: That one

Since you don't provide links to those posts here I'm not going searching!

But just to let you know, links in forum posts have always been vetted against the guidance laid down in Forum Policy, and that continues to this day.

So unless a link clearly contravenes that policy it remains.

And also just so you know, I'm not doing this for my health either.

Mark

Collapse -
Was a time we trusted each other.
by crowsfoot / October 20, 2011 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Well.

I do believe I've been around here longer than you. (Call For Help - ZNet)

My missing posts may still magically appear. ? Hope and no bounds. You know? There's no politics in any of them.

Collapse -
We never trusted each other.
by Diana Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 8:40 AM PDT

In fact, when I became a moderator, there was one paid moderator.

Diana

Collapse -
Then why, crowsfoot...
by J. Vega / October 21, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: That one

O.K., you're not here for your health. Then why are you here? I've been around the Forums since the ZD days and my reason is that I find it fun. That's the only reason that I've ever needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.