Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Cnet Commentary sent me where I've never been before

by michhala / July 6, 2005 2:11 PM PDT

'How to Outsmart Spyware' by Ken Feinstein -- this CNET article sent me to 'Manage Add Ons', and now I need to know how to 'manage' and what to update and what to disable. Here is what I have.

ADD ONS that have been used by IE:
{57707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D 7942484F} Safer Networking BHO SDHelper.dll

Adobe Systems, Inc. BHO AcroIEHelper.dll
Microsoft Corporation ActiveX Control SHELL32.dll
Symantec Corp. BHO NavShExt.dll
Symantec Corp. BHO NISShExt.dll
Microsoft Corp. ActiveX Control IEAWSDC.dll
Symantec Corp Toolbar NavShExt.dll
Symantec Corp Toolbar NISShExt.dll
(Not Verified) Microsoft Corp Active X Control OPUC.dll
HP ActiveX Control Browser extension
Macromedia, Inc. ActiveX Control Flash.ocs
Microsoft Windows Publisher ActiveX Control WUweb.dll

ADD ONS Currently loaded in IE:
Safer Networking LTD BHO SDHelper.dll
Adobe Systems BHO Acro IEHelper.dll
Symantec Corp BHO NavShExt.dll
Symantec Corp BHO NISShExt.dll
Symantec Corp Toolbar NavShExt.dll
Symantec Corp Toolbar Browser Extension NISShExt.dll

If I am asking too much just send me away Happy .....Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP2)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cnet Commentary sent me where I've never been before
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cnet Commentary sent me where I've never been before
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not an expert, Miki, but you do have.....
by tobeach / July 6, 2005 2:56 PM PDT

a considerable number of Active-X browser helpers but virtually all are from legitimate companies. Acro is your Adobe reader. SD Helper(Safer-networking) is your Spybot control, Symantic is your Norton, Macromedia is your Flash Player, etc.Add-Ons Currently loaded look about right.
I'm always a little suspicious of any "toolbars". Why does HP need to follow your browsing(?) but might be connected to updating.
Apparently your Cable is via AOL?? Personal Choice but I wouldn't allow anything from AOL, Yahoo,etc. on my'puter.
Hopefully Marianna or Donna will pop in with an opinion. Run your Spybot and see who it lists. Happy

Collapse -
I'm not an expert, Miki, but you do have.....
by michhala / July 7, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

Thank you, tobeach.

HP toolbar is on the 'ADD ONS that have been used by IE' list and not 'ADD ONS Currently loaded in IE' list. Doesn't that mean it is not used now? I am not sure what it is used for either, but I thought it was for the printer icon to be in the toolbar.

Re AOL -- I have AOL's DSL, and it is a very secure system being 'instant on' and not 'always on'. In addition, my IP address changes every time I sign off, which I do consistently when the computer is on.
AOL does not offer this DSL to new customers, and I will be losing it in a month when I move......at which time, I will still keep AOL, but will connect using Verizon direct (AOL/DSL uses the Verizon lines).

I have been with AOL since 1998 and have always been satisfied with them. I have one IE browser on my system; it is not modified; AOL uses that one; I have the choice to connect with AOL and then use the external IE if I so choose.....just like everyone else.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki You can update only

if the update button is clickable. One by one click the add-ons to see if the update button is clickable or not.

The lists you got is safe.

The (Not Verified) Microsoft Corp Active X Control OPUC.dll is for Office Update engine.

Collapse -
Hi Donna...
by michhala / July 7, 2005 2:51 AM PDT

Thank you, Donna -- am happy to know that I have a "safe" list.

I appreciate your always 'being there' for us.

Miki

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?