HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

CNET bandwidth meter question

by Marshall9088 / October 16, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

I have used this bandwidth meter consistently for the past years. The Houston area has been changed from Time Warner/Roadrunner to Comcast. Roadrunner ALWAYS measured 3600-3800; as soon as the Comcast change went into effect, the measured speed has dropped to 2200-2500. I can also see decreased speed in downloading pages etc. I've had Comcast out to troubleshoot and they suggest the CNET bandwidth meter may have moved the server to a different location at a time coinciding with the drop in measured speed.
Can you answer if there was a change in the bandwidth meter around April to May 2007 or since? Am I wrong in thinking that using the same meter should offer me an apples to apples comparison? The Comcast service tech uses a different meter that produces 12,000 reponse and they proclaim me crazy for not being happy with the speed.
Any info is appreciated. Marshall

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CNET bandwidth meter question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CNET bandwidth meter question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't know about CNet, but. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 16, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

try this one. http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ Pick the Dallas server.

But remember this. If your modem is the older style using the DOCSYS 1.x protocol, the newer DOCSYS 2.0 is optimized for Comcast. You will get above 6 Mb/s with the new protocol. You need to look at your modem. If it's DOCSYS 1.x you need a new modem that supports 2.0.

My Comcast connection went from 3 to 6 Mb/s when I replaced the modem.

Collapse -
How do you find out DOCSYS?
by BrianZachary / October 16, 2007 9:06 PM PDT

I have a Comcast modem too, but I don't know how to find out which DOCSYS protocol it's using. The brand name is Arris.

It sucks, you had to go from TimeWarner/RoadRunner to Comcast, Marshall. We had TW/RR up in New York and had to go to Comcast when we moved to Tennessee a few months ago and I miss what we had. I feel like we downsized. Didn't have half the problems with them as we do here with Comcast, and we didn't pay as much each month either.

Oh, well. Hope you find the answers to your questions.

Collapse -
Finding the protocol. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 16, 2007 10:11 PM PDT

Go on line with the modem's make and model. The specs should be listed. As an example of 1.x:

Motorola SURFboard

Collapse -
Thanks, coryphaeus.
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

I found it on the website. Our modem uses DOCSIS 2.0.

Collapse -
See the post of an email I sent Cnet today.
by Chuck Stickler / January 18, 2008 4:52 AM PST

I?ve had Verizon FIOS internet service since I moved into my home almost 2 years ago. I currently have the 15 down and 2 up speed. After I first ordered the service I checked the results on Cnet?s bandwidth meter and it showed my service as being below a cable connection, namely Comcast. That prompted me to call Verizon way back when, and a tech helped me check my connection speed with several other sites to verify I was getting what I paid for. Your website clearly stated that the speed meter could be affected by internet traffic and may be higher or lower. At the time, I figured it was just a fluke.

That was a long time ago. Today I decided to upgrade to the 15 up 15 down Verizon fios package and I thought I would check my speed again. Sure enough, according to other sites, my speed was just above 15K up and just under 2K down. I decided to check Cnet again. This time your site measured my speed at 877.4K, once again just below a cable connection, namely Comcast. The very disturbing part was the rather large ?Get Comcast High-Speed Internet for only $19.99? banner above Cnet?s Bandwidth Test.

I realize that you clearly state that your bandwidth meter is affected by internet traffic and actual speeds may differ, but there is a big difference between 877.4K and 15,567.8, especially given the looming presence of the Comcast banner.

I?m hoping this is just some sort of a fluke/coincidence as I am a loyal reader of Cnet, because I value their impartial reviews of all things electronic.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.