PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CMOS Wont Save :(

by lowgun1 / August 14, 2004 6:57 PM PDT

alright, obviously i have a problem

yesterday, i tried to install a new agp graphics card but things went haywire and i had to revert back to my pci one, anyway, My Goddam CMOS is messed up i beleive

in order to actually start my pc up properly i need to take out the jumper and reset it all, start it up and go on from there, however my defaults i beleive are wrong, once they are loaded up and i restart no image will come up to the monitor

so at the moment the only way i can get into windows is reset my Cmos and then go on and push f1, i try and change some settings in Cmos but once i save and restart the monitor wont load up again

i know its weird, but im totally out of ideas on how to fix it, i tried updating my bios but i still keep getting the checksum errors when i actually manage to start the damm thing

any help would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CMOS Wont Save :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CMOS Wont Save :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CMOS Wont Save :(
by jjcool / August 14, 2004 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: CMOS Wont Save :(

what speed AGP card did you try to install and what type of AGP slot does your Mobo have? and before i forget did you check the voltage requirements? for example i can not install a 3.3v video card into my agp slot as it would just fry my mobo.

Collapse -
by Willy / August 14, 2004 9:21 PM PDT

Once you clear the CMOS return the clearing jumper back to its orginal postition. Do your changes and save upon exit. The system can be powered to return it, unless of course you have "fat fingers/hand" that get in the way. Sad Otherwise, you'll be clearing whatever you do as the clearing pins are always engaged. If not, please explain further...

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by swisse / August 14, 2004 9:22 PM PDT

I think you meant BIOS. What settings in BIOS did you change and are you sure your mobo supports AGP cards (I suppose you have a relatively new mobo and not a very old and outdated one)? Sometimes some cards require that you uninstall the old graphics driver first, reboot, and then install the new one.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2004 9:50 PM PDT

I didn't see you write you set the BIOS primary boot display to AGP. Some default to PCI or onboard video and the effect is as you write.

I can't tell you where this setting is since there is no standard.

Collapse -
:) Proffitt=right, but...
by reefurbb / August 15, 2004 12:14 AM PDT

1. if mobo is more than 3 yrs old, replace battery. [good prevent. maint. if nothing else.]
2. many mobo cmos clearing jumpers have 2 settings, 3 pins. If you start your mobo w/o any jumper, you mess up cmos.
3. many bios updaters have a "save" function to save a copy of current bios. Did you?
4. Many bios have the options to "load setup defaults". Did you try that?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?