Computer Help forum

General discussion

CMOS use to recognize the 160gb HD

Ok here goes, I am running Windows XP. I originally had the Maxtor 160gb as my master with the OS on it. I originally had the HD partition with 75/75. One of the partitions was formatted with Fat32 and the other as NTFS. The harddrive ran fine until I installed a new WD 320gb HD as the master. I put the 160gb HD as the slave on IDE1 before I reinstalled the OS on the new HD. I booted up fine and install went perfect and thats when I noticed that the "what is supposed to be the C:\" is now the F:\ drive. After everything finished and I looked into "My Computer" and thats when I noticed that windows did not recognize the old 160gb HD. I went into Device Manager and saw it was Unallocated 31gb. Rebooted and notice the CMOS was seeing it as 31gb. I then changed jumpers to master and put it on the IDE2. Still not seeing the 160gb. I then put it as the master on the PCI ATA133 card that originally came with it, and still nothing fixed. I even have tried reinstalling WINXP to see if I can format it through Windows setup. The Setup does not come up even if I have the boot sequence going to the CDROM first. I have called Maxtor since it is their HD and still nothing from them except I need to flash my BIOS and that is one thing I am afraid of doing. I even connected it back up the old way and it works fine. I was going to do it the old fashion way FDISK. Oh yeah a data recovery tool was able to pull data off of the old HD. Can some one help? I would really would like to continue using the 160gb for other things.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CMOS use to recognize the 160gb HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CMOS use to recognize the 160gb HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.