I am using this Lenovo PC for some 2 years now. The specs are as follows:
Intel Celeron CPU
Speed 2.66 GHZ
Ram 1.27 GB
MS OS SP2
Bios Type Phoenix-Award V6.00PG
Bios Updated on 11/10/06
Bios ID Grantsdale 6a 79DFKJC-00

At times when I boot up the pc, I would hear 2 beeps and ?CMOS Checksum Error? appears. Then I have to press F1 and reset the date/time and press F10 when I am done. The PC then boots up normally. The next time when I boot up again after switching on the power, the same thing happens. The date goes back to 1/1/2003 and time is 0:0:0. I have to reset this again.
I have tried changing to a new CPU battery but the problem still remains. I have not install any new hardware expect increasing the ram by another 1GB. I have also tried removing the new ram card and conducted an anti-virus scan. Problem still not solved. And the thing that frustrates me is that this happens intermittently.
I have not try the jumpers yet, cause i do not know how or where the jumpers are. Is it necessary to do so? What would be the pros and cons to adjust the jumpers?
Thanks and pls HELP!!!!
SK

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cmos checksum error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cmos checksum error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: cmos checksum error

Other causes I've found for this issue.

1. Type "bad caps" at google.com
2. I fixed a few by putting in a new power supply.

There is some CMOS RESET or PWD RESET jumpers on boards, which I will not write at length about. I use those to reset the CMOS values and then setup the values again. Rarely fixes the issue.

Worse case issue? The motherboard has failed in some odd way.
Bob

Collapse -
replace power supply unit
by sk_tan_sg / March 26, 2008 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the advise. I have tried replacing the power supply box but now the PC just wouldn't boot up. The HDD LED light just kept on flashing but nothing happened. So i hooked back the old power supply box and back to my old problem (CMOS Checksum Error). I have also did an "eye-ball" check on the CAPs like you said, all seems ok. No bulgging or leaking caps.
Any suggestions with regards to the power box replacement?
Thanks
SK

Collapse -
The most common issue with power supplies is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 10:18 PM PDT

Missing a connection. Many owners don't change them often and can't get the connections on proper. Others will omit an ATX12V connection.

Sadly if a new CMOS battery doesn't cure it and you measured that battery with a volt meter to be sure it's good then the board looks to have failed.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Robert
by sk_tan_sg / March 27, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

Ya Bob I thick the mobo has failed me. Well that goes to show that Lenovo has failed me too. Just less then 2 years usage. My other older Acer is already 5 years and my son is still happily playing his online games and does his homework on it.
Well i guess i will get a new CPU and this time i will make sure its not a Lenovo.
Thanks Bod for all your quick responds by the way i think this forum is cool. Cheers
James

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.