Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Cmos Battery - Windows Won't Load

by ajk62089 / November 13, 2014 6:29 AM PST

I have an HP Compaq dc7800p small form factor desktop pc. Anytime it turned on, it gave me the error about the time not being set and that the battery may need to be changed. I changed the battery to the same exact kind that was in before, same standard 3v battery. It won't load windows past the "windows loading" screen. At first, I thought this was just a bios setting, but for some reason, when the old battery is in the pc, it boots up windows. It just wont load windows with any other battery in it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

ajk62089 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cmos Battery - Windows Won't Load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cmos Battery - Windows Won't Load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ajk62089

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Steven Haninger / November 16, 2014 10:20 PM PST

You didn't mention whether or not you set the clock to current date and time. That can sometimes be an issue. As well, many BIOS have a failsafe mode and you might try that. It could be that Windows cannot configure some piece of hardware it thinks it hasn't seen. Worst case I've had to do to resurrect an old machine was to re-flash the BIOS to the same or newer version. It would be a last ditch attempt, however.

Collapse -
Update
by ajk62089 / November 21, 2014 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Just a thought

Well, I ended up ordering a new set of batteries and volt meter. Tested it all out, booted windows this time, but it is still giving me the error that the battery may be bad. I updated the time and date with the server each time and corrected it all before rebooting to test. I may have to fix the bios like you(Steven Haninger) mentioned. My concern is that one of our employees has been cutting off power to the pcs with a switch rather than shutting them down properly. I don't know if that could cause something like this or not, but they were freshly ordered pcs so I wouldn't expect this to happen within a month or so. Thank you all for the replies! I greatly appreciate it.

Collapse -
Solved
by ajk62089 / November 21, 2014 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Update

I ended up updating my bios and its keeping the correct time. Thanks again everyone!

Collapse -
Good to hear and thanks for the report
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2014 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Solved

I have only seen a re-flash of the BIOS work on a rare occasion. I had one MB that, no matter what I did, would never get past the BIOS claiming some error. The battery was changed even though it was well within tolerance and it still wouldn't work. It was an older board and already had the most current BIOS but I flashed it again and the problem went away. Stuff happens and there's not always a logical explanation.

Collapse -
Answer
Link to service manual
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 6:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Cmos Battery - Windows Won't Load
by ajk62089 / November 14, 2014 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Link to service manual

I did have the + up so I at least had that correct lol. I did use two batteries from working pcs, one was the same exact model. I can't find my volt meter but may pick one up later.

Collapse -
Also in supplied manual was a note about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 12:44 AM PST

Resetting the cmos values but the fact the batteries were used and no measurement made means they are suspect. Many PCs work with low or old batteries so that fact doesn't add any value.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Answer
by pushpak479 / November 30, 2014 2:10 PM PST

Change the CMOS battery of your PC

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!