PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CMOS battery

by caktus / December 15, 2004 3:18 PM PST

For the past couple of months my Windows ME had been getting slower and slower and freezing up in spite of the fact that I keep Temp files cleaned out, AV & Spybot S&D updated and regularly use other utilities.

Yesterday I noticed the Desktop clock began slowing down. I installed a new CMOS battery, checked BIOS settings and restarted. Now the system and programs run faster and more dependable than in the passed year and system resources hold up better.

It's a 4 1/2 year old Gateway 800 running the OEM Windows ME.

Could the new CMOS battery be the cause of the sudden upgrade in performance? Not complaining, just curious.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CMOS battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CMOS battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Willy / December 15, 2004 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: CMOS battery

Short answer: NO

Why, that isn't as easy as it seems. The CMOS battery does hold bios info setting and if they started not act accordingly it could cause a problem, but its not suppose to as long as battery life is present even if weak. It should really start to fail, not slow down and usually a slow clock is the result and nothing else, excluding any other reference to "timing". If the timing is wholly dependant then yes, because the clock cycles take longer and in fact allow the system to slow down, as the system is dependant on those "cycle rates". Its logic at it worse, working but not at the rated value.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
I bet...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 11:07 PM PST

That you cleaned out the dust and dust bunnies when you replaced the battery. Intel CPUs can slow down when they get too hot.

Collapse -
Lost settings?
by jcrobso / December 16, 2004 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: I bet...

The battery is only used when the pc is powered off, if the battery is getting wear some of the setting may changed. When you put in a new battery and checked the bios settings the bios program may have scaned every thing and did a "refresh" of the settings for clock speed
memeory speed etc. So now it's back at a perfomrance setting. But with out knowing the pc make and bios type it's haed to tell. John

Collapse -
by caktus / December 16, 2004 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Lost settings?

the computer usually runs 24/7. Even though the battery was out for a few hours turns out the BIOS settings didn't change at all. But I did have to reset the BIOS jumper to reboot.

Collapse -
Yep! Sure did. I thought ...
by caktus / December 16, 2004 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: I bet...

the fan would take care of all the heat problems. I guess not. Guess I need to get off my butt a little more often.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks every one for your input.
by caktus / December 16, 2004 2:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows ME
by UnWritten7 / December 17, 2004 2:00 PM PST

When you start a post with the words Windows ME then you have already answered your own questions. Happy At least my experience with ME has been a nightmare. I had it for a few months when it first came out then went back to W98.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?