Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

cmd ipconfig shows wrong settings!

by edintheclouds / November 16, 2006 1:29 PM PST

Hi. After having trouble connecting wirelessly to the internet with my (Dell Inspiron 6400) I tried getting into the router to look at the settings. I couldn't so tried by plugging in using an ethernet cable as that always works. However, this time it didn't and after a while I wondered if the problem might be with my laptop. I then plugged in a different laptop and that was OK.

When I subsequently ran cmd ipconfig on my Dell there was no DNS Suffix, an IP Address that started 168 when I thought it should be, a Subnet mask that looked like the one that was there originally (and what is a Subnet Mask anyway?) and, most importantly, no Default Gateway address at all, which is, I assume, why the relevant ethernet port indicator light didn't come on when I plugged in.

Someone told me about the /release command so I did exactly that and now have in both the IP address and Subnet Mask but still nothing at all for the other two. The laptop that's working OK doesn't show a DNS suffix either so I assume it doesn't matter, but how do I get the right Addresses back into my Dell's system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cmd ipconfig shows wrong settings!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cmd ipconfig shows wrong settings!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IP Config
by Darton Fury / November 17, 2006 2:47 AM PST

When your computer fails to contact a DHCP server, the default alternative addressing method, "Automatic Private IP Addressing" is used. APIPA only assigns an IP in the 169.254. range and a subnet mask of It does not assign a gateway or DNS servers. Therefore you cannot access the Internet. Open command prompt and type, ping localhost, or ping and hit enter. The results should show 4 packets sent and 4 packets received. If this is not the case, reset TCP/IP by entering, netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt.

Collapse -
I can't renew my IP address
by Allioop109 / February 22, 2008 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: IP Config

I have a Toshiba laptop and use my wireless connection to hook up to the unsecured network of the restaurant next door. I do this everyday with no problems. Yesterday and today the computer says my signal strength is excellent, but it says "limited or no connectivity". I tried to use the repair feature, but it says it's not repairable b/c it "cannot renew IP address". I saw somewhere on the site someone said to ping localhost. I did that and I saw it sent and received information. What do I do now???? I'm clueless and I broke up with the guy that could always fix my computer. Help, please! Happy

Collapse -
What you need to know is that kiddies are using
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 1:57 AM PST

A new toy called MAC SPOOFING and can cause your issue. Be sure to try another location before paying for repairs. Also in XP we have the other methods listed in this forum. (search the forums for the words NETSH RESET) Did you try them?

Collapse -
After the ipconfig /release
by PudgyOne / November 17, 2006 10:35 AM PST

command, did you type ipconfig /renew? Thi will renew your ip address.

Collapse -
Different ip address.
by Papa Echo / November 17, 2006 10:43 AM PST

I am not an expert on Networking, but having tried the /release command, have you tried the others, like /renew, /flushdns, /registerdns, and /setclssid ?

Collapse -
Matter resolved
by edintheclouds / November 17, 2006 11:57 AM PST

I tried all of your suggestions but none of them seem to work. Then, after I told my ISP ( that I had recently downloaded a new personal firewall (Comodo) it was suggested I disable it - and Windows firewall - and then repair the connection. I did this and it worked! I then enabled both firewalls and it was still OK. However, after restarting my laptop I found the same problem so did the same.

I now only have Windows firewall enabled and haven't had the problem again. I did actually have McAfee Security Center installed on the laptop but uninstalled it after loading Comodo, AVG Anti-Spyware and Spyware Terminator Realtime, so wonder if I ought to put McAffe back and uninstall the others? The problem is I never know which is best or how many of each I should have. The only reason I took McAfee off in the first place was because I got fed up with each of them telling me the other wants access!

Any advice - or redirection to a relevant discussion thread - on firewalls, anti-spyware etc would be helpful, thanks.

Collapse -
You should only run ONE firewall
by PudgyOne / November 17, 2006 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: Matter resolved

They conflict with each other and cause problems.

Most people do NOT use Windows firewall because it only stops incoming attacks. If something is in your computer it can call home.

Many others use Zone Alarm as their firewall. It stops both ways and always asks you if you want to allow or deny.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by edintheclouds / November 17, 2006 2:32 PM PST

Thanks Rick. What I've done is reinstalled McAfee and uninstalled Comodo. I've also disabled Windows firewall and all seems fine now. I reckon I'll leave well alone now - after all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?