PC Hardware forum

Question

Clueless laptop shopper, help please?!

by KHicks82 / February 24, 2015 4:43 AM PST

Hi, I need to replace my Toshiba Satellite laptop since it won't power on and i've been told replacing the motherboard is impossible or would cost me hundreds of dollars.

I can't afford to spend another $800 on an i7 processor and I don't really "need" a laptop that will allow me to game as much as I need one for homework. But I would like to be able to at least watch Netflix, play pogo sometimes, etc.

I am so confused when it comes to AMD processors though.

I am trying to find a list that breaks down AMD and Intel processors based by quality, like this processor is fast/better than this one. So when I go shopping I can compare which one is better because Intel goes i3, i5, i7, etc. While AMD's all have names and I don't know enough about mega hertz, giga hertz, whatever to compare them for myself.

Any help please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clueless laptop shopper, help please?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clueless laptop shopper, help please?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So with games out the window why not the #1 Amazon seller?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 4:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
LAPTOP
by hackspedia / February 25, 2015 3:41 AM PST

I think you should try a laptop cu at least i3 CPU, 4-5 GB of RAM, 1TB HDD and a dedicated Video Card. The price is decent, so you should find something nice.

Collapse -
Answer
what do you need in a laptop?
by James Denison / February 26, 2015 3:54 AM PST

Speed? Gaming? Or just browsing and email? Long battery life? It should be your needs which dictate what you get in a laptop, more even than a desktop. No sense having a gaming computer with a power CPU burning up power if all you need is for browsing and emailing, viewing some 720p videos on youtube, etc.

Collapse -
Answer
Start at the bottom, work up.
by James Denison / February 26, 2015 4:08 AM PST
Here's the bottom CPU that works for browsing, online medium HD video, etc.

Here's a video that demonstrates the capability of that processor. Anything above that at CPUboss will work for your requirements.

CPU benchmarks of the Sempron 145 and the ones just above it.

If you have problems running 720p streams with anything at that level or above, then the problem is your ISP and the broadband speed it's providing. Also realize some ISP throttle streams from Netflix and then LIE about it. There's information about it at Netflix, so search it out. You can bypass some ISP throttling by switching your router DNS over 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 which is Google DNS server and no throttling.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.