Samsung forum

General discussion

Clouding problem with series 7 LED and BD -P1600 issues

by brouha / July 9, 2009 3:40 PM PDT

I recently bought a series 7 LED 55" TV. From the first day I noticed a clouding on all 4 corners of the screen and a large spot off centre. This is very distracting and really cheapens the quality. I currently reside in Australia, but I can see this is a world wide issue with Samsung and seems to be a serious one. At $5,700 (that's what we pay here) I should be getting a perfect picture. I have seen some pretty brazen replies from Samsungs phone service to other contributers of this forum. I am worried that this will not be resolved and I want to know if anything is planned by Samsung to resolve this with a firmware upgrade - soon. If not I am returning it and buying another brand.

I also bought a BD-P1600 and on the first run of the Blu Ray version of "Sin City" the player's audio dropped out throughout the disc AND the picture froze twice. On playing the Blu Ray version of "Full Metal Jacket" the picture shuttered throughout the disc along with audio drop out. I exchanged it yesterday for the BD-P3600.

After reading all these common problems with the LED and BD players (both the 1600 & 3600) I feel I may have bought some VERY EXPENSIVE lemons and may dump my Samsung products. I'm scared to death to even try to hook up either to the internet after all I've been reading. It's unfortunate because I have older Samsung products that work just fine. It's obvious they have rushed them to market and we, the consumer, are paying for their mistakes.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clouding problem with series 7 LED and BD -P1600 issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clouding problem with series 7 LED and BD -P1600 issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clouding problem with series 7 LED and BD -P1600 issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2009 4:03 AM PDT

brouha,

Thanks for posting your concerns.

In most cases, the clouding issues can often be resolved by adjusting the settings or having the unit calibrated. Since screen uniformity is inherent with LCD panels, and no two panels are the same, the chances that a firmware update fixing this isn't likely if you happen to have the issue. If it's what you feel is extreme, then (region dependent), we can have a tech take a look at it and fix it or you can exchange and try to see if you better results with a different unit.

"Extensive problems" on a world-wide forum can make small problems seem an almost certainty. Coupled with your experience so far, I can appreciate the trepidation.

Don't get me wrong - we want your business, but we also want you to be happy with your purchase. If you're not, do what's best for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Looks like Samsung is OUTTA -HERE...
by brouha / July 10, 2009 7:28 PM PDT

Well after having the 3600 model for a few hours not only did it fail in sound and picture throughout 2 movies, it actually cut the sound off completely half way through one movie. I had to stop it and when restarted it forced me to the beginning of the disc. So much for the quality of Blu Ray disc players.

I've seen other LCD's that do NOT have clouding issues so for your company to be advertising a full dynamic range and telling me I have to turn down contrast, brightness or back lighting is not acceptable. I actually did adjust all these features down anyway and it is still visable in dark sequences especially in a letterbox format movie. Enough said for the quality of your TVs.

So...It's all going back and I would strongly warn anyone else who does not want to throw away their money or time to avoid Samsung products.

Collapse -
Clouding problem also with series 8 LED
by rick.warfield / July 25, 2009 10:24 PM PDT

I also have/had clouding - but with the series 8 (model UN55B8000XF). The tech looked at it and diagnosed a bad circuit board which controls the LED function. I am now getting a new replacement with $400 rebate because of a price drop. No problem with my BD-P3600 Blu Ray player.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?