Computer Help forum

General discussion

Closing An Applicatoin Using "Exit" as Opposed to "X"

by Dariusxx / July 27, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

I got into a discussion at work about how to exit an application, particularly MS Access. I was told that if you do not exit using the file/exit function or if you close with the windows "X":Access will not refresh. I am on a network. Is this true?

Is there a difference between the two ways of closing an application? Is this just for Windows applications or is this for everything?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Closing An Applicatoin Using "Exit" as Opposed to "X"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Closing An Applicatoin Using "Exit" as Opposed to "X"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this in a workplace?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

If so, just follow the boss's or the IT staffer's instructions.

While in theory there is no difference...

Collapse -
Let's dig in on that one statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

"if you close with the windows "X":Access will not refresh"

It's sad they didn't explain this in detail. Let's say they are using Access and you have a record up on the screen. Let's say you changed the customer number but don't click the exit button on the form.

In this case it's possible to lose the changes on the screen UNLESS the programmer was really good.

I see less and less really good programmers that use Access. But that's another subject.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: closing
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

A programmer could even do it in 2 ways:
1. Check in the on-close event if the record is dirty.
2. Disable the forms close-button (and managing his own).

Personally I usually my own close-button in applications meant for a user (because it's easier for them to have clear buttons like "OK", "cancel", "close") and usually I disable my own close-button when the user has a record on the screen (until he presses OK or cancel). But I don't take the trouble to disable the forms default close-button, the X in the upper right corner. Still, nobody complains.

I wonder if I'm a bad programmer ...

Kees

Collapse -
Acumen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: closing

But the person (IT staffer?) was just a bad explainer.

As to you being a bad programmer, I won't debate it since what was in the design spec would be at issue and not your acumen.

Collapse -
Refresh
by Dariusxx / July 27, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

By refresh I was told that new data that is added to the master Table over night would not appear on a persons data base if they did not exit using file/exit.

The problem we have been experiencing is that data on the master table would not migrate to the sub-tables. One (of many reasons) for this we were told (not by IT people) is that all users did notlog off and that if they did they did it improperly. We are in a network environment.

Collapse -
Then do what they tell you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Refresh

It's the quickest way to determine if that is the issue.

Collapse -
And ask therm ...
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Refresh

to make their application less error-prone and more suited to people like you and me the click that X too much, because they are used to it in other programs (like when browsing).

All your IT-staff has to do is to click on the "Allow close-button" in design view once (once for each form) to disable it and make life easier for you. And that's what IT-people are for.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by Dariusxx / July 29, 2008 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: And ask therm ...

I will have the administrator do this. I tired it out first on a dummy database and it works perfectly. I spoke to an IT tech at my company and they said that if the X is used to close while the application is in the middle of refreshing or doing something that the data will be lost.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Collapse -
(NT) Might depends on how they programmed it.
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
In probably 99.99% of cases
by Jimmy Greystone / July 27, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

In probably 99.99% of cases, there is absolutely no difference between the two. Both of them are usually linked to the exact same bit of code internally in the program.

It IS possible for someone to override this, but virtually no one ever does, because there's no good reason to.

About the only time they have any functional difference is when some program is not responding. Usually you can click on the "X" button and it will bring up a dialog box asking if you want to force the program to close. That's really about it.

It sounds to me like you've run into someone who has a very narrow comfort range, and that involves doing things in a very specific way, whether or not it really makes any sense. They could have a mild obsessive compulsive disorder as well, and if that's the case, you can argue with them all you like, it will never make any difference. It doesn't matter if you're right, or have logic on your side, you will always be wrong in their mind. Easiest to just do it how they want when they're around.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?