General discussion

Closing all folders short cut.

Can't seem to close a folder and all of its parent folders by pressing and holding down SHIFT key while I click the Close button in the upper right corner of the folder's window.

Please help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Closing all folders short cut.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Closing all folders short cut.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: closing all folders

Can you tell more?
- What OS?
- What program?
- What do you mean with 'closing all folders'? In my Windows Explorer in XP I have one window with 2 panes: on the left side the folder tree, on the right side the contents of the current folder. So there's only one folder open at the same time. And if I close it, the window closes.
- I didn't know this shortcut. Can you provide a link to an online instruction somewhere?

Kees

- Collapse -
Re: closing all folders - New!

Sure.
It's Windows XP.
Here's what I mean. Lets say I opened "My Computer" folder, then "c" drive, then "windows" folder and finally "Temp" folder. Usually when I want to close all folders I hold down the shift key and click on the "X" on the "Temp" folder. That's what doesn't work.

- Collapse -
What happens when

you simply click the X? No Shift, just the X?

Mark

- Collapse -
"X"

Thx Mark. But If I open 4 folders, I would have to click on the "X" 4 times. A little annoying. My other PC let's me close all windows by using the short cut SHIFT+X.

- Collapse -
I see what you mean now

Multiple Explorer windows.

I have no clue, so I wish you luck with your search for a solution.

Mark

- Collapse -
Try the old Control+W

Yes that's only one window at a time but might be faster than moving the mouse to the X.
As to why the other Windows PC does that, that's a mystery.
Bob

- Collapse -
Control W

Thx Bob. It's certainly a quick fix.

- Collapse -
So you have the setting ...

to open each new folder in a new window. If you select to open it in the same window, you only have one window, and you must use the arrow keys to go back and forward in your chain. But that one window closes with a simple click.

I wonder why these separate windows are so special that closing one closes all. That's not standard Windows functionality. So let me ask: why do you think it should work?

Kees

- Collapse -
I have the setting...

Good point Kees, but there are times when I have to copy a file from one folder to another. I prefer to drag and drop to other fodlers. If I only have one window open I wouldn't be able to do that.

- Collapse -
Sounds like what I do all the time

I'm always moving files around by dragging & dropping them. I just select my file in the right side and drag it to the folder I want in the folder tree list on the left side. I can get to any folders, sub-folders or different drives. Aren't you showing the left side folder tree? You can expand the left side panel to the right so it shows more of the folder names.

- Collapse -
So open a new one

So open a new one on those occasions when you need to copy a file, or open up the directory tree on the left-hand pane. On Vista and 7 this is generally done by default, but on XP you have to enable it yourself.

There's also the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-F4 to close a given window. Alt-F4 closes virtually any Windows program. You could hold down the Ctrl-F4 key combo and the keyboard repeat will cause it to close windows in rapid succession. The only issue would be that it closes whatever window has focus, so the results are a bit unpredictable at times.

But unless you went with some kind of Windows Explorer shell replacement app, there's no way to close all Explorer windows at once.

- Collapse -
Hi Jimmy.

In a post above he writes "My other PC let's me close all windows by using the short cut SHIFT+X."

I checked with my PC (running XP). It knows that option, but if I set it, exit Explorer (or My Computer) and open it again it doesn't even work. So with only one window open, I can't even check what shift-X does. It's a pity.
Luckily, I didn't have any inclanation to start using the different window option.

But it's strange.

Kees

- Collapse -
Works I guess

I am still trying to sift through this but from what I've tried, if I set it to open each folder in it's own window in folder options, then use SHIFT-X, it closes all windows at once.

CNET Forums

Forum Info