HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Closed captions and subtitles DVD player wanted

by jbtjr / April 25, 2013 2:29 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Sony DVP-SR510H CD/DVD player and just discovered that it won't display closed captions. Most of the time this isn't a problem because most DVDs that I rent are subtitled. I am hard of hearing and must have one or the other for most things that I watch.

For example, my recent Netflix rental "Gormenghast" is closed captioned, but not subtitled. The closed captions will display using Windows Media Player, but not my DVD player.

Can anyone recommend a DVD player that will display both?

Thanks,
jbtjr

jbtjr has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Closed captions and subtitles DVD player wanted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Closed captions and subtitles DVD player wanted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jbtjr

Collapse -
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 2:39 AM PDT

For netflix it's up to netflix to push out an app for this feature. I have yet to see the DVD player not play the captions but for netflix that's another ball game. There is no federal mandate or law so it's not a sure thing.
Bob

Collapse -
I have yet to see the DVD player not play the captions...
by jbtjr / April 25, 2013 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: True.

Bob,

The player that I bought doesn't. If the rental disc has closed captioning instead of subtitles the Sony just won't display the CC. Doesn't matter if I rent the DVD from netflix or the library. I used to think subtitles and closed captioning were the same thing.

What I'm hoping to find is a DVD play that will work with subtitles and/or closed captioning.

Thanks,
jbtjr

Collapse -
And to make it more fun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

If this is a VIDEO DVD the captioning is not done on the player but is a feature of the TV set.

At times you wonder how big this maze is. Do you have a home theater junkie to go over all this?
Bob

Collapse -
Are you sure about that?
by Pepe7 / April 26, 2013 12:44 AM PDT

I always thought that w/ MPEG-2 on DVDs, it was part of the stream and not a function of the TV set(?) Even wikipedia doesn't present a very clear picture on this IMO.

Collapse -
Just last night
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

I tried it and sure enough I hit CC on my TV remote and there were the CC being generated by the TV.

It appears you need support beyond what is available and while I'm only an electronics designer with over a decade of surveillance DVR work, I am beginning to think I can't help you. I know a little about this area but as the US GOV dropped the ball on captioning with the move to HD and as you lead with Netflix, well, what a mess this area is.

I don't mind discussing it but it appears you need to get someone local to make it work and spend the time with you about this.

I've subscribed and will be interested in your solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Post this in the CNET Samsung Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Just last night

The Ambassador there may know if there is a BluRay player that does this.

Collapse -
Might have an answer
by jbtjr / April 26, 2013 6:53 AM PDT

Just back from several hours of driving store to store in the KC area. Sam's, Walmart, Target & lastly Best Buy. The last guy spent a good 30 min on the store computer researching manuals of different DVD players. We had just decided that I should try a particular Sanyo player when he suddenly asked what type of connection I was using. I didn't know the name, but pointed it out in my manual. HDMI. He then said that HDMI doesn't support closed captioning & that I should try the other cables that came with the player.

That's where I'm at. I'm too exhausted to hook things up today & will wait until morning to try it. Will probably have to call Vizio support for help programing the tv if it needs reprogramming due to different connection.

I still have the rental DVD from Netflix and don't intend to return it until I have an answer.

Collapse -
And HDMI is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Might have an answer

Remember that the gov dropped the ball in the rush to HDTV. If you hook up a DVD player with the composite standard def cables the Line data noted at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608 makes it over to the TV and the TV can show the CC.

With the rush to HDTV and the community not pressuring our gov to put this in, the industry omitted this.

It's all very interesting stuff and I don't mind discussing it at all.
Bob

Collapse -
It worked!!
by jbtjr / April 26, 2013 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: And HDMI is...

The HDMI cable was the problem and not the DVD player or the tv. I plugged in the 3 (yellow, red & white) cables & the CC icon lit up on the tv setup menu. Piece of cake! And I didn't even have to call Vizio support.

Now I need to call Vizio with my case# and tell them that there is a solution to the problem. And the next time I am in Sam's will look up the (nice) employee that said NO players would display CC on the tv that I bought there. And need to go tell Joe at the Best Buy that he was right about the problem being the HDMI cable.

Whew! 50 years ago I might have figured this out on my own... now I forget how to tie my shoes sometimes.

Thanks everybody here for your support!

jbtjr

Collapse -
Glad you got it to work
by Pepe7 / April 27, 2013 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked!!

Half the battle is not forgetting all the spaghetti in back too (LOL).

FWIW, there's rarely a reason to use HDMI with a standard DVD player IME.

Collapse -
If this is a VIDEO DVD the captioning is not done on the pla
by jbtjr / April 26, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

Just off the phone with Vizio support for my M320SL tv. The tv is not the problem. When putting the rental movie DVD into the Sony player and going to the tv setup menu the closed captions icon is not lit up which means the CC signal is not getting to the tv. The service rep assured me that the problem is with the DVD player.

So... back to my original question.... can anyone recommend a DVD player or player/recorder that will play both subtitled and closed captioned rental movie DVDs?

Thanks,
jbtjr

Collapse -
Answer
Most DVD & Blu-ray players have CC features built in.
by metacinema / April 26, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

The problem sounds like its in the disc... subtitling and CC data has to be part of the original mastering process or it will not be available to any player's CC reading system. This is most common with bootlegged movies, since "pirates" rarely care to include and/or re-encode the CC data.

Collapse -
DVD player needs to decode and convert
by DPowersTX / January 22, 2014 2:04 AM PST

You were right on your first question.
What DVD player will support it.
TV typically decodes CC, but they will not decode in the HD world.
So you need to rely on your DVD player to decode close captioning and embed it into the subtitle stream.
I have not found a DVD player that does this... yet.
The reason that it worked when you used the Yellow Red and Black cables is because that is not HD. That is old school NTSC. I would think the deaf community would be all over this total misstep in the conversion into DVD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.