Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Close Programs

When I start my computer and the desktop appears, I do Ctrl+Alt+Del to see the Close Program box. This is usually what I find:

Explorer
Nls
Bargains
Hbsrv
Rundll32
Scanregw
Systray

My question is, which of these programs should be at startup and which shouldn't and how do I get rid of the ones that shouldn't be there?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Close Programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Close Programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Close Programs

In reply to: Close Programs

Sorry, I forgot, I have HP with ME.

Collapse -

The BARGAINS looks suspicious. What Anti-Parasite tools are you using?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Close Programs

None. I don't know much about that subject, I'm basically a newbie. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Pest control.

In reply to: Re: Close Programs

Light reading about the issue is at http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

The usual tools which you can find with google.com are Adaware SE, Spybot and also a pass from Housecall would be a good idea. These pests and parasites are discussed often in the Security Forum.

Bob

Collapse -
At some point you might find yourself....

dabbling with the Start-up menu. There are two items which you should always leave running in ME, irrespective of whatever else you delete - either temporarily or permanently.

SystemTray
*StateMgr

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: At some point you might find yourself....

In reply to: At some point you might find yourself....

Explorer
Systray

I hate to disagree but i think theese are the two that you MUST leave running.......You really should run a spyware/adware etc test. Spy Sweeper from Webroot software is good. I recently ran it on a trial and it found a few things my usual utilities didn`t.

Collapse -
Dear bstu - Are you referring to running items? ...

In reply to: Re: At some point you might find yourself....

via Ctrl-Alt-Delete? My reference was to the Start-up menu, which does not include Explorer as a check-point option, since the OS installs it anyway. "Systray" is as it arrives, again via C-A-D. In the Start-up menu it is SystemTray. Again, in the Start-up menu, do not uncheck the *StateMgr box.

I know that I am saying again what I said in my original post. Hopefully we are no longer talking at cross purposes.

For parasites, much has been written on these Forums and several programs are recommended.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Dear bstu - Are you referring to running items? ...

In reply to: Dear bstu - Are you referring to running items? ...

Ah.. sorry Mclazon got my wires crossed there. So, Mulberryrd have you tried any of theese suggestions and if so.....are you having any success?

Collapse -
Re: Dear bstu and Mulberryrd....

In reply to: Re: Dear bstu - Are you referring to running items? ...

Dear bstu:

Thank you for confirming the clarification. As you say, Dear Mulberryrd: Hope things are going well.

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.