General discussion

cloning - sector errors

Hi everyone!

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a 52 GB HDD. I am attempting to clone to a new 160 GB HDD but am recieving sector error messages during the cloning process.

I am using the Micro 2.5" IDE to USB 2.0 external enclosure. My computer sees the new hardward and allows me to being the process.

I first attempted to use Acronis True Image Home 2009,
Next, I tried EASEUS Todo Backup 1.1,
I then tried Clonzilla,
but with each software, I received sector error messages.

I ran CHKDSK, but the results after the scan were "Windows is clean," so I need some advice as to how to proceed.

I appreciate any help -

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: cloning - sector errors
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: cloning - sector errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try this (link)
- Collapse -
Thank You!

R. Profitt - thank you for the hint. It worked, but I have a question - how do I find out what information is on the bad sectors (there was a long list)? If it is necessary information to run any applications what should i do? I don't have a copy of my o/s (Dell does not supply one as almost everything comes pre-installed), so I am at a loss. I have no more Dell support since my computer is more than five yeards old, so what do you advise?

Again, thank you for the information and hopefully it will run with no problems. I am going to now install the new HDD and see what happens. I will let you know if I run into any challenges once things are running.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I don't have that sort of information but we know that file integrity is not a feature of this OS which means we are on our own. You could head off some troubles by uninstalling any app you can and reinstalling said app. You could also run the SFC /SCANNNOW command (see google.)

Good luck,
Bob

- Collapse -
Got it installed - now...

I finally was able to get everything up and running after some technical challenges. I have a few questions that maybe someone could please help me with.

First, I would like to move my documents and settings folder to a new partition so that my Windows/os XP SP3 and other application software is all that is on the C drive.
Should I create another Primary partition and name it E, or should I make it an extended/logical partition?

Second, I've done some research about how to move my documents to a different partition in my Dell Inspiron, but everything seems so convoluted. Is there an easy way to move the user friendly folders so that they are accessible at boot up?

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

- Collapse -
Sorry.

Moving that folder is widely documented. I'll let you find out how.

But I NEVER move that folder as it invites other issues. And I've never had to move it because I can use folders on other drives without moving this folder.
Bob

- Collapse -
move folder...or not???

How about moving the contents of the folder - my music, documents, and pictures to a new folder? How can I have my OS then see the new folder and allow that to be my primary target for anything new? My original drive is 52GB, and it was completely filled up. That is why I installed a new 160GB drive. What is the best method for me to use the new available space? I can't seem to figure out how to expand the C partition so that it can hold more. As I've read in other threads elsewhere, it is best to leave the OS on the C partition by itself so if anything happens it could easily be repaired without damaging the other data.

I'm a little confused...any help???
Thanks!

- Collapse -
For example.

I simply use the other drive. I don't use WMP so I have no issues with it or the pictures I keep in a folder on another drive.

The idea of drives or partitions saving our files has turned out to be too unreliable to advise anyone to do this. Backup is the only way out.

Ok, it sounds like you cloned the drive and it's partitions. If you have a backup copy of that drive (I use CLONEZILLA) I then boot up GPARTED to shrink or remove the D partition to give me space to expand the C drive.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info