PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Cloning from a laptop pc to desktop pc

by pdwivedi / December 10, 2007 3:05 PM PST

i am using an ibm laptop with win xp o.s. & 40GB hard disk and i have an external 80GB usb hard disk. i want to transfer all the settings and data to transfer from laptop to desktop using norton ghost software.Is it possible to take the ghost image of the laptop in my usb disk & then restore the image on desktop pc ? please help!

regards
pdwivedi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cloning from a laptop pc to desktop pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cloning from a laptop pc to desktop pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes it is possible and Ghost can do it
by lacsr / December 10, 2007 8:16 PM PST

BUT WinXP will not run on the desktop after doing that. So what is the main idea for this question? If you just want to get the data, then there are ways for that. If you want to actually use the OS after transferring, then you will need to run a reinstall of Windows XP on the desktop.

Collapse -
by pdwivedi / December 11, 2007 11:50 AM PST

you mean to say for getting everything transffred from one pc to another pc,I need to install win xp on the newer pc and cloning of OS is not possible?

regards
pdwivedi

Collapse -
You can clone the OS but it won't boot proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 11:57 AM PST

It will also want to "activate" on the new hardware. It's part of Microsoft's antipiracy tools.

Bob

Collapse -
Why not the files and settings wizard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 11:33 PM PST

The OS will fail to boot and will want to activate, plus you will spend days trying to fix that so why not just move the files and settings?

More at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

Bob

Collapse -
by pdwivedi / December 16, 2007 12:06 PM PST

thanks .but I also want to know if i want to have backup of my pc forever so that in case any crash occurs and if i want to restore every thing including OS then is it possible? or for the same pc also i need to install the os then transfer the settings using file setting and transfer wizard.

regards
pdwivedi

Collapse -
(NT) Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 12:37 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?