General discussion

cloning a mac hd

i asked this question recently but didn't get an answer. it's not a big problem or anything, i'm just curious. when i clone my mac book pro (snow leopard os) hard drive using SUPER DUPER, the cloned external drive doesn't match the mac hd in gigabytes. my mac hd is max 250 gigabytes, my external drive clone is max 320. however the mac hd reads as 233.71 gb used, and the cloned ext. drive reads as 216.54 gb copied.

shouldn't a cloned drive be exactly the same size as the original drive (mac hd) that's being cloned?

seems funny to me. thanks in advance,
bgstreet

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: cloning a mac hd
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: cloning a mac hd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Depends on how the cloning works

could be that during the clone process, not all the blank space is actually cloned and transferred which would result in the different size.
Perhaps there is also an element of compression being applied here.

P

- Collapse -
re: Clone is different size from source
- Collapse -
cloning to a mac hd

I use Retrospect and Super Duper for cloning my boot hard drive. Super Duper does not copy files that Apple has told it not to worry about. When I used the Super Duper clone to transfer my data to another machine, it worked perfectly - no loss of anything.

Typically, a Retrospect back up of my boot drive takes about two hours and normally changes about 10GB. Super Duper takes me 13 minutes and changes about a third of that or less.

Super Duper has been recommended by several Mac professionals so I have quit worrying about the differences between what it does and what Retrospect does.

Jay

- Collapse -
cloning a mac hd

thanks for the answers, they were helpful and now i understand the situation better.

bgstreet.

CNET Forums

Forum Info