Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cloned drive - WinXP apps properties refer to original drive

by doniel / August 31, 2010 4:40 PM PDT

I'm going to keep it simple and describe my hard drives as containing one partition each. That's not how my drives are set up, but the real setup is more complicated and irrelevant.

I just installed a new drive. That makes for a total of three drives, giving me C:, D: and E:. I cloned C: to E: and edited boot.ini to add the option to boot off of E:.

It boots from E: flawlessly, but since the cloning procedure didn't change the apps' properties to reflect their new location, they're all still executed from C:. As my goal is to eventually remove the apps from C:, I need to change their properties to refer to E:. Do I have to perform this tedious task manually, or is there some automated process that can acomplish this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cloned drive - WinXP apps properties refer to original drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cloned drive - WinXP apps properties refer to original drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cloning
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2010 7:10 PM PDT

A clone is a clone and must be used as such. And changing the driveletter certainly isn't "as such".

If you want a working bootable system on the e:-drive, you INSTALL it to the e:-drive, and not CLONE it to the e:-drive. Then install all applications (Program Files and such) also to that drive.

If you prefer to edit the registry yourself, go ahead. I would export it, change "c:" to "e:" using a text editor, import it again and see what happens. An interesting experiment.

Kees

Collapse -
Cloning vs. installing
by doniel / August 31, 2010 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: cloning

I didn't criticize the cloning software for not changing the drive letter. I was simply describing the situation I'm faced with and asking if there's any way to automate the process.

As for installing from scratch, there's no question in my mind that cloning is much faster and much more efficient, even if you have to spend half an hour manually changing the drive letter for the installed apps.

Thank you for your reply.

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Cloning vs. installing

This issue has dogged many for years. The problem is that when a solution did appear it only worked 98%. That is there were always a few apps that didn't work so that 2% caused the support lines to always be lit up.

That product is no more and we shall not speak of it since it was a failure in other ways.

There is ANOTHER METHOD I use which is to convert the drive to a VHD and run that in a VM but that's another discussion for another day.
Bob

Collapse -
Going with no
by doniel / September 1, 2010 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with no.

Thank you, Bob. From your reply, I gather that I'm going to have to do it manually.

Ah, well, such is life.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!