PC Applications forum

General discussion

clone software that will clone while using windows?

by dbdmora / December 3, 2009 5:36 AM PST

I was wondering if there is software out there that can clone a drive while logged on to windows? I dont want an image file, i want to do an exact copy on a 2nd HDD. This is what I am trying to do.

I have a PC with two hard drives. HDD1 has my OS + different apps and files. I want to clone HDD1 to HDD2 to get an exact copy of HDD1. Then schedule to clone it again once a day at night but I dont want restart the PC to accomplish this or if I am working at night I don't want it to disturb me. That way in case HDD1 fails for some reason, I can just boot up to HDD2 and work away without any issues.

If the above cannot be done, what about a software where I clone HDD1 to HDD2 but if I makes changes to HDD1 for example adding a new application, windows updates or files it will update HDD2 automatically without having to reboot windows.

Thanks for any info or links to what I am trying to accomplish in either scenerio.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: clone software that will clone while using windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: clone software that will clone while using windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2009 11:58 PM PST

Anything that claims it can do this is not telling you the truth.

Collapse -
No software that I'm aware of but you could setup RAID 1
by VAPCMD / December 6, 2009 12:30 AM PST

Realizing however that either drive could fail, both drives could be virus infected simultaneously, both drives could be corrupted/damaged by an electrical surge...you really don't have the protection you might want or need with RAID 1.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thought I answered that in the Storage forum
by Steven Haninger / December 6, 2009 4:58 AM PST

I can clone or make images of the system drive with Acronis but cannot use the OS during the process as the drive must be locked to prevent changes from being made. I can schedule backup but not cloning, as far as I know. No, there isn't a way to differentially add newly installed programs to a backup. You can only do this with data files but program installations make registry changes. Backup programs don't do such things. Hope that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?