Question

clock speed

I just installed 2-2gig 6400 800mhz dimms in my e510 running xp home, when I checked it in my set up screen it shows 800mhz in system but under the memory tab it is only showing 533mhz, in windows it is only reading 3.25 gig and I get that but do I have to update my bios for the system to get all the kick from the ram, it is a dual core 3.0

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: clock speed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: clock speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Limits have been set

Check the bios status if there is a major gap, then update. I believe its up to A09 level now.

- Collapse -
is set-up screen bios

this might be a stupid question but is the set up screen I access while the pc is booting up the bios, it's the only screen I can access while boot up or is there a secret keystroke to access it

- Collapse -
Yes
- Collapse -
Answer
clock speed

The E510 has a limit of 533Mhz for the RAM,the 800Mhz will be down clocked to 533 regardless.As for the 4GB only reading 3.25GB,yes that is correct to.These early systems can handle a max of 4GB yes, but unless your system supports memory remapping(the E510 does not) your limit of usable RAM will be between 3-3.5GB with the limit of 4GB installed.

CNET Forums