Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Clix2 and other such stuff

Hello all,

I'm thinking about getting the iRiver Clix2 when it comes out and was wondering if anyone knows when that might be. I've read several times that the 8GB version (which is what I want) will be coming out in April, but I never found a confirmation for that on a reputable site so any help there would be appreciated.

Also, I'm not closed off to the idea of a different MP3 besides the Clix2. I'm looking for one with video playback, fair audio (i.e. not bad but I don't have golden ears), possibly an FM tuner, sturdy and scratch resistent, small, not an iPod (I hate Apple), and one that I can work out with.

I'm leaning towards a solid state hard drive so that I know I could run an bicycle with it but I'm not sold on that yet. I guess my main question is how much would I notice the difference between a solid state hard drive MP3 player and one with a "normal" hard drive [when working out]?

If the difference is minimal then I would go with the normal hard drive as that costs much less on a $/GB scale.

What do ya'all think?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clix2 and other such stuff
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clix2 and other such stuff
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: Clix2 and other such stuff

I am wondering the same thing! Also, does anyone know whether it will be compatible with Napster ToGo? The first Clix was, but who knows with the Clix 2.

Collapse -
Hard drive vs. flash

I've used hard drive players while running and working out for several years (iPod Mini & Video). I had no problems with them, but I did use an armband to minimize my chances of dropping them. Hard drive players load music into a cache (I'm not sure how big it is - 16 mb?) so that the hard drive isn't constantly accessed - this prevents skipping and also preserves battery run time.

I also bought a flash player (iPod Nano) and I use that now for running and workouts. I really do appreciate its light weight. It is so light weight that if it falls out of my hands, it doesn't drop to the floor - it's still attached to the headphones. Although I have a case, I usually don't use it and carry it around in my pocket.

If you want to go for a hard drive player for active uses you should invest in some sort of case/armband to prevent it from dropping and cushion it if it does. I don't really like the case/clip combination for working out. It can still fall off, but at least it's in a case. I would give this advice regardless of what hd player you get.

Collapse -
Clix 2 looks amazing

I'm also looking that the clix 2. You say you're looking for a sturdy player. Well, if this is going to be anything like the clix 1, it will be very sturdy. You want video playback, this thing will play at 30 fps...blazing fast in other words ^_^ On every site that shows the 8gb version, they say it is coming out in april, but then again, they say the 2 and 4 gb models are coming out in march...and i have yet to see one on a shelf. I believe that you should just wait it out, as I see the clix 2 being quite a gem!

Collapse -
You need to look at the Cowon D2

Its an overal better Pmp. THe features that the CLix2 has that the D2 doesnt are pretty unimportant but the features the D2 has that the clix2 doesnt are pretty major. I have owned both and without a doubt the CLix2 has the nicer screen but this is its only real plus. Cowons sound quality is better and louder and the expandable memory is where its at. Now you are not locked into deleting songs or video as your player becomes full or having to buy a new player in the future with ever so little more memory. The Clix2 is nice yes but its features are simply out of date now. Buy the D2. It is simply the best on the market right now

Collapse -
Touch screen... eh

In reply to: You need to look at the Cowon D2

I don't think that I would really like the touch screen.

Also, I don't mind a smaller hard drive since I fully plan on swapping out songs (besides, the Clix2 comes in an 8 GB version).

I fully plan on test driving any MP3 player that I'm considering before buying it so I will make sure to try the D2 before saying no.

I was talking with a friend of mine that said his iRiver MP3 player broke and a friend of his had her Clix break. I haven't heard anything like this about iRiver elsewhere, but do they tend to break? If they do, I almost certainly wouldn't buy one as I expect I will be [relatively] harsh on whatever MP3 player I get throughout its lifetime.

Collapse -
Broken Mp3's

In reply to: Touch screen... eh

I just recently purchased a Creative Zen Vision M
player,which was rated pretty good,but unfortunately
went back to the store the next day. The internal
battery,which isn't removable,would not take a charge
no matter how long I charged it. The funny thing is,
I replaced it with the Archos A404,which when I opened
the box,had a bright yellow paper on top of the player
which stated that,if the player doesn't turn on or
locks up,to hit the "Reset" button. I felt like an idiot at that moment because maybe the reset button
would have fixed the Zen. Who knows? There were no
instructions in the Zen's manual,since I would have
checked if the reset button solved the unresponsive
battery issue.It's little details like a good detailed
instruction manual,that make you feel you have a good
quality product,no matter how it may have been rated
by others.I really like the a404,besides the fact that
you have to purchase a DVR Station to record video to
it directly from a TV or external video source. I'd
recommend the Archo's products just because they are
built very solid,not like the better rated Vision and
V plus from Creative. It also records MPEG-4 not just
MPEG-4 SP. I for one,do not solely base my buying
decisions on Cnet's reviews,since they are not usually
reviewing the most important things about products which most people care about.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.