Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CLINTON: POPE 'MAY HAVE MIXED LEGACY

by EdH / April 6, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

En route to Rome, Clinton told reporters the pope ?centralized authority in the papacy again and enforced a very conservative theological doctrine. There will be debates about that. The number of Catholics increased by 250 million on his watch. But the numbers of priests didn't. He's like all of us - he may have a mixed legacy.?

Maybe not ALL of us...

Clinton was also asked about his first flight aboard Air Force One since the end of his presidency: ?I never thought I'd be on this plane again - I had a good time. They have turkey burgers too, which they didn't have when I was here. If they'd been serving me turkey burgers, I might not have heart surgery.?

What, the President of the US for eight years can't order turkey burgers to be served on Air Force One??!! And yet Bush, who is purported to be a moron has turkey burgers!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CLINTON: POPE 'MAY HAVE MIXED LEGACY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CLINTON: POPE 'MAY HAVE MIXED LEGACY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So, Bill is now comparing himself to the pope?
by Kiddpeat / April 6, 2005 12:18 PM PDT

'He's like all of us'.

Is Bill releasing state secrets, or refurbishing his image AGAIN? Did they inventory the silverware before he got on, and after he left?

Collapse -
That was uncalled for,
by Jerry562 / April 6, 2005 7:41 PM PDT

we all know that the $2,000.00 per plate dishes were stolen from the government's whitehouse residence by him and his wife, why wouldn't you believe he already got the silverware? It would only be a logical conclusion.

Collapse -
The Air Force One silverware story was bogus
by Josh K / April 7, 2005 12:00 AM PDT

But don't let that stop you from continuing to repeat it.

And yes, the Pope is like all of us. He is (was) a human being.

Collapse -
Anyone who says that
by Dan McC / April 7, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

the pope was human is antiamerican. It's not surprising that you'd say such a thing, Josh. Or should we just call you comrade?

Dan
Real American

Collapse -
A favorite line from M*A*S*H
by Josh K / April 7, 2005 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Anyone who says that

BJ (to Hawkeye): Are you a Communist?
Hawkeye: Nyet!!

Collapse -
Clinton thinks the Pope's legacy ...
by Evie / April 7, 2005 12:56 AM PDT

... will be mixed like his, because he considers him amongst "us" with the Pope. Yeah right!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
And your point is, Ed?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2005 1:53 PM PDT

There's very much a mixed legacy -- while he was very holy and personable, John Paul's triumph's were more advantageous for the world than the Church, which has the pedophile scandal mishandling and priest shortage as his main legacies. Last years there was one new priest ordained in Dublin, which provided dozens to the US when John Paul assumed the Holy See. Hanging on to outmoded traditions (the celibate priesthood, at least, if not the all-male priesthood as well) while parishes are closed daily for lack of priests to staff them shows a Church more intent on preserving the past than on its people's present and future.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I guess if you don't get it, you're not going to get it
by EdH / April 6, 2005 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: And your point is, Ed?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If you don't get it, you don't get it.
by Dan McC / April 6, 2005 11:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
Apparently you didn't
by EdH / April 7, 2005 1:38 AM PDT

It's funny, that's all. Sheesh!

Collapse -
I saw that from the outset.
by Dan McC / April 7, 2005 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Apparently you didn't

Your interjections in the lead post lead one to thing you were taking his burger comment seriously.

Dan

Collapse -
Thankfully our President....
by Angeline Booher / April 7, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

... and his father, are able to get beyond this sort of thing. President Bush had confidence in his father, and apparently confidence in Clinton, to ask them to raise funds for and to go to the tsunami-ravaged areas.

And he invited, not only his father, but also Clinton to accompany him to Rome.

The senior President Bush has developed a friendly relationship with Clinton, as well. This does not surprise me, as I always considered him a gentleman.

I think it took guts for President Bush to make those decisions. I choose to believe they were not born of political motives, but of rising above petty vindictiveness.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) IT'S JUST FUNNY
by EdH / April 7, 2005 1:48 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.