Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos

by Kiddpeat / July 19, 2004 11:14 AM PDT
President Clinton's national security adviser, Sandy Berger, is the focus of a criminal investigation after removing highly classified terrorism documents and handwritten notes from a secure reading room during preparations for the Sept. 11 commission hearings, The Associated Press has learned.

He inadvertantly 'lost' some critical documents that he 'mistakenly' removed from a secure facility. He was seen stuffing documents into his pockets. No coverup here is there? Imagine if Bush's people did this. I wonder what he was trying to hide. It reminds me of Hillary's records mysteriously disappearing when needed for an investigation.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos
by C1ay / July 19, 2004 9:51 PM PDT

I liked they way he referred to stuffing his pockets as 'inadvertent'. Now Kerry's using him as well. Maybe Kerry has something to hide too...

Collapse -
Were I a conspiracy theorist ...
by Evie / July 20, 2004 12:03 AM PDT

... I might think it curious that Bill Clinton needed Sandy and fmr. WH Counsel there when he testified before the 9/11 Commission Devil Remember all the hub bub about Bush "needing" Cheney?!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Were I a conspiracy theorist ...
by David Evans / July 20, 2004 12:33 AM PDT

No need to get conspiratorial. Everybody knows that occasionally people inadvertently stuff classified documents from the National Archives into their pants, then go back to ask for copies of the classified documents they inadvertently stuffed in their pants, then go back yet again and ask for all the rest of the copies of the classified documents that they inadvertently stuffed in their pants. Don't tell me it's never happened to you!

DE

Collapse -
Yep ....
by Evie / July 20, 2004 11:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe he just forgot and they went through the wash.
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2004 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep ....

Happens to me all the time.

Collapse -
It's a smokescreen
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 12:40 AM PDT

This is being leaked now to provide a distraction from the 9/11 report.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now there's a conspiracy theory...
by C1ay / July 20, 2004 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a smokescreen
Collapse -
Gee, I thought it was a cloud of documents fluttering
by Kiddpeat / July 20, 2004 2:10 AM PDT

in his wake. I wonder why NARA and the FBI don't think it's just smoke, but I guess where there's smoke...

If this was a Bushee, you'ld be screaming for a special prosecutor Dan. Double standard?

Collapse -
Smokescreen
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 3:21 AM PDT

Look at the timing. They've been investigating for months without talking to the principal and we only hear about it right before the release of the report.

Dan

Collapse -
One wonders ...
by Evie / July 20, 2004 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Smokescreen

... why Berger didn't inform Kerry of his legal troubles before he signed on to the campaign. Or perhaps he did. The 9/11 Commission having Gorelick on it is a smokescreen!

Collapse -
Berger says ...
by Evie / July 21, 2004 12:10 AM PDT

... he came clean about this in October 2003. Wonder why he didn't come clean publically. The smokescreen here is the Democrats'. The story doesn't fit the blame Bush agenda. Nobody is naive enough to believe that Berger's actions weren't intentional. So now we have the old Clinton modus operandi in action. Claim it's no big deal (Clinton says he was laughing about this silly little incident), mistakes were made, and blow a lot of smoke about the timing of the leak in hopes nobody will pay attention to the substance of the charge.

Surely you can't believe that a former NSA was unaware of the law regarding classified documents. Will you all still think this is no big deal if/when Berger is carted off to prison?

Collapse -
Re: Berger says ...
by Dan McC / July 21, 2004 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Berger says ...

What a rich fantasy life you have.

These are fairly routine occurances. They get prosecuted only rarely. If this ends up in court it will not be because of the merits of the case, but because of the politics of it.

Dan

Collapse -
It is you that has the rich fantasy life.
by Evie / July 21, 2004 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Berger says ...

It is NOT fairly routine to break the rules concerning classified documents. That is a direct threat to national security Dan, and Berger trying to say it was a mistake is laughable. As former NSA, he was well versed in procedures regarding classified documents.

Collapse -
Re: It is you that has the rich fantasy life.
by Dan McC / July 21, 2004 2:59 AM PDT

I'm glad you've given up your policy of waiting for all the inquiries to finish.

In any case, you'll have to match your credentials on security matters with those of various experts I've seen on CNN and other places and heard on NPR and other places. I'm leaning toward the opinion of the experts on this question. Most of the people who violate the rules for classified documents are familiar with the rules or they wouldn't have access to the document.

Dan

Collapse -
I haven't!
by Evie / July 21, 2004 3:53 AM PDT

I will wait and see what the investigation pans out. You OTOH that states as fact that the White House outed a CIA asset, have already dismissed this as a smokescreen defying all logic and common sense.

Come on Dan. If it had been Condoleezza Rice you would have been calling for execution on the spot!

Collapse -
Never
by Dan McC / July 21, 2004 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I haven't!

I oppose the death penalty.

Dan

Collapse -
I can guarantee you, Dan...
by J. Vega / July 21, 2004 9:24 AM PDT

Dan, I can guarantee you that the rules of classified information forbid stuffing it down your trowsers, or any other way to take it and remove it from the secure area.
Destruction of classified info also has quite firm rules, and they don't include someone taking it somewhere else and throwing it away.

Collapse -
It was a two bit burglary. How did
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2004 1:01 AM PDT

Watergate get so blown out of proportion?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oh, stop.
by Dan McC / July 21, 2004 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Stealing, destroying, and distributing highly classified
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2004 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Oh, stop.

documents. I guess it depends who's doing it. That double standard is showing again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That post should be a WJW entry. VOTE!
by Josh K / July 21, 2004 5:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WJW? I'm never sure what these abbrev are.
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2004 6:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Worst Joke Wednesday
by Cindi Haynes / July 21, 2004 10:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Berger's offense ...
by Evie / July 21, 2004 1:21 AM PDT

... is a felony crime carrying a possible 10 years in prison.

It's the only count Wen Ho Lee eventually plead too, and Clinton's Justice Dept. plead former CIA director Deutch on lesser misdemeanor charges but Clinton pardoned him anyway.

The lack of prosecution was indeed the politics of the Clinton DOJ Sad Your disregard for the law as pertains to Democrats is astounding. Hundreds of FBI files? No biggie, after all it was just an innocent mistake ... funny, we still don't even know who hired Craig Livingstone. Satellite technology for campaign contributions? No biggie.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) See my reply to your hysteria above.
by Dan McC / July 21, 2004 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Berger's offense ...
Collapse -
Hysteria?
by Evie / July 21, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

The nonsense Joe Wilson kerfuffle was hysteria. Your lack of interest in this is hysterical, however.

Collapse -
People are now saying that this is how Clinton and his
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2004 2:04 PM PDT

cohorts deal with all charges. 'It's no big deal', and 'It's an old story'.

Collapse -
Re: Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos
by Evie / July 21, 2004 12:18 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.