Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Client unable to connect to web through ICS host

Hey people, bear with me as this may be a lengthy post, I want to try ang give as much info as possible this first post. My host PC (my desktop) is running an ASUS P5PE-VM with 1gig DDR PC3200 Crucial RAM, has a Intel DualCore E2180 @ 2GHZ. I use a dial-up connection, and even though it is dial-up, my connection speed averages from 52Kbps to 54.3Kbps. So its actually pretty good for dial-up. My OS is Win XP wit SP2. I think that pretty much covers the important basics. My client PC (my laptop) is an ACER Aspire 3100 w/ 512MB DDR2 It has an AMD Sempron 3200 @ 1.6GHZ w/512KB of L2 Cache. It also has an 802.11 b/g wireless Lan. I installed a wireless card (Belkin Wireless G desktop card) in my desktop (host) and set up an ad-hoc network between the two. Basically I set up a wireless network without a router. I've done this before and had no problem, however this time I cannot connect to the internet using the client (my laptop). Everything appears to be in order, ICS is enabled on the host, Firewall in configured, communication between the two is there, I verified by pinging both IP's using ipconfig. The host is able to connect to the internet and browse with out no problem. its just the client I am haveing trouble with. Could it be a DNS problem? When I open IE on the client it just displays the 'cannot display web page', I even tried pinging the web page and am successful in that, it just wont display the web page. Am I missing something?? If I forgot to add anything I apologize, theres quite a bit to remember!! LOL . Anyways I hope someone can help me resolve this issue. Thanks -

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Client unable to connect to web through ICS host
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Client unable to connect to web through ICS host
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quite a tapit issue.

In reply to: Client unable to connect to web through ICS host

You find that such is nearly impossible today to make work proper. Here's why. Firewalls, anti this and ante this. Support for ICS has come and gone but look over your setup one more time to see what anti software you are using. I no longer write much about ICS since it's a tarpit of issues now and don't feel like wading into that black goo.
Bob

PS. In other words, get rid of ICS. Use anything else.

Collapse -
Just get a router

In reply to: Client unable to connect to web through ICS host

Just get a router and be done with it. Something like $50 now can save you huge amounts of headaches later.

Collapse -
Are there any?

In reply to: Just get a router

Are routers available for dial-up connections???

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: Are there any?

Take to google.com and type in ... DIAL UP ROUTERS

Remember that while I gave you the reasons it no longer is easy to get ICS working some have no control over they machines as to firewalls and more. For those the router is the fix.

Collapse -
I understand

In reply to: Yes.

I understand what your saying,,It is just frustrating because I used to have this configured with the same units,,the only difference is a new wireless card in the desktop,,the old one (DLink) took a crap, and I installed new hard drives and a clean install.

Collapse -
hmmmm

In reply to: Since PING works. Try the old REREG step.

Ok,,I'm in the process of running the system file checker, What exactly does rereg do? I am not familiar with that.

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't think I noted SFC

In reply to: hmmmm

I noted the Internet Explorer /rereg idea.
Bob

Collapse -
I know

In reply to: Sorry, I don't think I noted SFC

I am aware that you didn't note the sfc option, I clicked on the link you posted and was reading one of the posts there and it mentioned both the rereg option as well as the sfc option, I opted to try the sfc option first. Everything was ok with that, did some research on rereg. Still not sure exactly what it does, but after 3 or 4 attempts of trying to type it in correctly, it finally displayed the page. And by 'the page' I am referring to the page that states that ie cannot display the page. However - after correcting my settings (I had connected the two pc's by an ethernet cable to see if that would work), I ran the rereg option again, this time my home page displayed! So what exactly does rereg do??? Everything appears to be fine now. Both ie and firefox are connecting from the client through the host.

Collapse -
It reregisters DLLs.

In reply to: I know

Glad it fixed it. It's fairly rare for this to happen but the most common causes are spyware and registry cleaners.

Collapse -
Makes sense

In reply to: It reregisters DLLs.

That makes sense, I had installed 'Ad-Aware SE professional' some time ago to clean up some some old registry files of some games, thats more than likely when it happened. Well now that- that is taken care of,,would you have an idea as to why the client disconnects periodically at will, could it be when there is no network traffic that it does this? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

Collapse -
Disconnects, drops.

In reply to: Makes sense

Caused by less than WPA-PSK security, hiding SSID (don't!) and just plain old interference.

Collapse -
huh?

In reply to: Disconnects, drops.

Ok, you lost me there. I am not familiar with WPA-PSK security, and how does one hide the SSID. Is that referring to a network key required to access the network? Cause I do have one, should I uncheck that box?, and check the one that says the key is automatically provided to me? One more thing,,,why is it that my wireless connection on my desktop (host) say that it is connected at 11Mbps and the one on my laptop (client) say it is connected at 54Mbps? is it just the difference in nics?

Collapse -
Sorry. Those you can hit the books or the web.

In reply to: huh?

I can't duplicate such here in this small space.

Collapse -
Ok, I'll research them.

In reply to: Sorry. Those you can hit the books or the web.

Thanks for all your help in resolving this matter. I appreciate it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.