HolidayBuyer's Guide

Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

"Client Side Galaxy Error"?

by spr85sigma / August 14, 2010 12:01 AM PDT

I have followed CNET for years and thanks to you, I've been able to become fairly proficient in the area of technology. I have, however, been stumped as to what to do, if anything, about a "Client Side Galaxy Error" that I received when I attempted to access my yahoo e-mail account. After trying however to access Yahoo's help pages, I realized that I can no longer access anything on the Yahoo website. This has been since 9:00 am yesterday (Friday, August 13, 2010). I've searched the web high and low to find out if there is something that I need to do as far as my internet settings to restore access, but have come up with NOTHING! I tried rolling my system back to a previous restore point well before this problem occurred and found that this had no impact on the problem. Furthermore, I am beginning to believe that this is NOT MY computer's problem, but one with Yahoo since I am able to access the internet and all of my other e-mail accounts. Additionally, I tried using my wireless connection my netbook (Acer, Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), with IE8) with similar results. Here, however, the homepage will appear, but no pictures load and nothing on the page works. It appears to be perpetually loading. This leads me to a second question--Is there a reliable way to find out if there are wide-ranging website outages? Here is what I'm running:

Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3)
Internet Explorer 8
Dell Dimension 2350
Verizon DSL

It should also be noted that I am running Yahoo Messenger which sends me e-mail alerts, so I know the account is active. It too, however, has not been signing in automatically as it should and I receive a message reporting that there is a problem with my internet connection, which doesn't appear to be true given my ability to access other websites and e-mail programs.

Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions that you can provide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Client Side Galaxy Error"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Client Side Galaxy Error"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google is my friend?
by spr85sigma / August 22, 2010 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Google is your friend.

Had I found any substantive answer to my question on Google, or Yahoo, I would NOT have posted HERE! My thinking was that someone here might have had some insight into what the error was since I could not find an explanation via the search engines.

It appears to me that Yahoo simply went down and instead of responsibly letting their customers know what was going on, allowed not only me but other people seek to solve a problem that was not ours in the first place. Yahoo came back up the day after I posted this with NO explanation for the problem. On Friday, my Yahoo messenger stopped sending me e-mail notifications. I contacted their "technical" support and was supposed to receive a response in 24 hours and it has now been closer to 48 with no response.

Nevertheless, I will post elsewhere should I need assistance with my computer problems which are thankfully rare!

Collapse -
Well, excuse me!
by Coryphaeus / August 22, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Google is my friend?

Show me in your first post where you did Google or other exhaustive searches!

Contacted their support? As in an email? And you expect a fast reply?

Call your ISP!

Oh, BTW, how much money did this useless answer cost you. These are free forums, and we try to help as we can. You don't like the answers, take your problem to a paid site or a paid repair service.

Have you noticed how many other answers are attached? Maybe mine was the only logical one, or no one else has had your problem.

Geez, post elsewhere.

Collapse -
I think that google gave the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2010 5:46 AM PDT

It appears that not every machine can use the new yahoo email. For that you set that machine to use the old email system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.