Computer Help forum

General discussion

Clicking URL not working

I'm running Windows ME and have posted this in Win ME forum but they couldn't solve it.

When I click a hyperlink from within a web page, i.e. a link to pbase from within the Nikon Talk forum, all I get is a medium sized transparent frame, the clicked on URL does not show in the address bar of the resulting frame.

The action goes no farther no matter how long I wait.

I have no pop-up blocker running except the one that Google provides . . . deactivating that has no effect.

Your help will be appreciated.

Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clicking URL not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clicking URL not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You already tried the Repair IE

In reply to: Clicking URL not working

Collapse -
I had already done these . . .

In reply to: You already tried the Repair IE

Maybe I haven't been providing enough info. I apologize if this is true.

My computer is a P4, 1.6g CPU, 512m ram and a 40g drive 50% free.

This started when clicking on a URL from within my email and newsgroup programs produced no results.

Someone suggested eliminating any existing pop-up blocker. The only one that was active was the one provided by Google. I deactivated that and then got results when clicking URLs from witin above mentioned programs.

But then the current proplem showed up. For example when I clicked on the URL you provided I got a new medium sized IE window which actually captures a portion of the underlying window. The address line in the new window was blank . . . normally the address you provided would have shown in the address line.

Collapse -
Try looking in the Internet Options/Advanced tab

In reply to: I had already done these . . .

to see if you have 'show friendly urls' checked. Then go to Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View and make sure there is a check mark in 'show complete path'.

See if this makes a different once you click Apply, then click "like current folder, and OK. The changes should take effect immediately.

TONI

Collapse -
Thanks for staying with me, Toni . . .

In reply to: Try looking in the Internet Options/Advanced tab

I am assuming 'show friendly urls' should be checked.

In Folder Options/View the wording is somewhad different but I'm sure this is the correct in my computer - "Display the full path in the address bar" and there is another "Display path in title bar"

Tried all the combinations and the problem still exists.

Collapse -
Content Advisor

In reply to: Thanks for staying with me, Toni . . .

could be your culprit if it's been turned on without your knowledge or by accident. Try this....

TURN OFF CONTENT ADVISOR:

If you have forgotten the Content Advisor password or if you want to disable it completely after a password has been entered, you can delete it by browsing to this folder in regedit.exe (remember to backup your registry first):

Go to Start\RUN, type REGEDIT and then click the plus marks in front of the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Now click the word RATINGS and select the icon called Key in the right-hand pane and press delete. Close Regedit.

Open Internet Explorer and click Tools/Internet Options, Content tab, click Disable. When prompted for a password, don't enter anything, just click OK. This will disable Content Advisor.

MORE:

A message keeps popping up that says, "PLEASE CHECK YOUR CONTENT ADVISOR SETTINGS FOR MISSING INFORMATION".

For that particular Content Advisor issue, this is the solution:

You get this message in Internet Explorer:

Content Advisor configuration information is missing. Someone may have tried to tamper with it. You may wish to check the Content Advisor settings.
Once you click on the OK button, the Internet Explorer can no longer bring up any web sites.

This happens when the ratings system has been enabled and the ratings.pol file is missing or damaged.

To fix this, do the following:

1) Exit out of Internet Explorer.

2) Go to the Start button, Programs, Windows Explorer. Go to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. Look for the file named Ratings.pol and rename it to Ratings.old.

NOTE: You might need to set Windows Explorer to view all files. To do this, go to the View pulldown menu, click on Options, click on the View tab, select Show All Files, and click the OK button.
3) Double click on the Internet icon to open Internet Explorer.
4) Click on the View pulldown menu, click on Options, click on the Security tab.

5) If the button in the Content Advisor area says "Disable Ratings" click on it and enter the Supervisor password (if you DO NOT have a password, just click on the OK button without entering a password). The button should now read "Enable Ratings."

6) Click on the OK button. Close out of Internet Explorer and restart it by double clicking on the Internet icon. You should now be able to bring up web sites.

NOTE: Uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer does not resolve this problem.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!