Samsung forum

General discussion

Clicking sound in my 52" samsung LCD

by kell490 / November 27, 2009 1:16 AM PST

My TV started making this awful clicking sound during our thanksgiving day family event. Everyone was mad because we coudln't watch movies we rented. I looked up my warranty and I was 3 months out. I goggled clicking sound and found many others have had this issue as well with samsung. Seems the issue is perfectly timed to fail just outside the 1 year warranty. It appears the issue is the use of cheap electrolytic capacitors to save money or too low of a voltage. Since I have 10 years of CRT repair experience I quickly pulled the back off my TV and located the caps, 2 1000 UF 10v caps. Both were bulging at the top. I pulled them both and tested them on my digital LCR meter which I bought 15 years ago for a contract project both were reading about 10-60 uf. I noticed Frys electronics was open at 5am for black Friday I went down around 7 it was really busy all the parking spots were full but I was able to get in and the checkout was really fast they had about 50 cash registers open. Total repair cost $7. I'm surprised to see such issues so fast the CRT monitors I used to work on in the 90's lasted years before you would see this issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clicking sound in my 52" samsung LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clicking sound in my 52" samsung LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clicking and Pixelation
by RKenyada / December 12, 2009 9:57 PM PST

My 18-month old Samsung LN-T4665F LCD TV started delayed power on symptoms several weeks ago, and became progressively worse with time. Longer clicking at start up and pixelation that required powering off then back on. After reading the experiences of others, and after getting a $400 estimate to repair the set, I opened the TV and power supply unit. There I found two bad 2200uF 10V capacitors. I purchased 2000uF 25V capacitors, and viewed several youtube tutorials on soldering and de-soldering circuit boards. I was able to replace the bad capacitors and now the TV powers on like new with no pixelation at all. The soldering equipment and experience may serve me well, because I noted other capacitors in the power supply that may require replacement at a future date.

Collapse -
Samsung with defective cappacitors
by herjimenez29 / December 22, 2009 10:08 AM PST

I own a Samsung LN-T4642H and I was a very loyal and a great fan of Samsung products for over 30 years; however, lately I had purchased an LCD TV from them and now I'm extremely disappointed for the lack of respect and consideration to their loyal clients. Samsung has started to sale defective and potentially dangerous products. This particular TV model has a great picture and basically I had no other complain, however, a little over a year after the 1 year guarantee period was over my set started to make several clicking sounds that are gradually getting worse; at the present time my lovely Samsung TV that cost my a little over a thousand dollars is taking nearly 2 minutes to power on and getting worse. I have contacted Samsung US via phone and the internet trying to have them fix my computer at no cost and they fail to take responsibility for selling me as well as thousands others defective TVs in the US. For the information to all CNET viewers, I plan to file a class action law suit against this miserable company, as well as filling a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. These defective capacitors will eventually fail and could even explode as they decade and release hydrogen. To the general public please beware of Samsung products, this company has gotten to big for their own good and is now selling defective LCD TVs as well as other products (just google Samsung and whatever other problem that you may have).
Soon I'll be posting the website of the law firm that will be handling the class action suit, for the mean time please pay the FTC website a visit to file your complaint against this company, remember that there is strength in numbers.

http://www.earthinfo.org/samsung-tv-makes-a-strange-clicking-sound/comment-page-6/#comment-1318

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.