General discussion

Clicking on Google search results cause IE to be redirected

It's been happening for a week, the google search works OK, but when I click on a relevant site, half the time I am redirected, mostly to Scour or Tazinga. It doesn't happen in Firefox. I've run Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Avast and McAfee. I updated them before running. I uninstalled Avast because it put itself on my systray with no way of exiting and denied access when I tried to end it's processes. SuperAS found two tracking cookies, and the other 3 found no threats detected. I temporarily disabled most IE add ons, didn't help. We really prefer IE to firefox.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Windows Vista Home premium x64
IE 8
HP 6110Y

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Clicking on Google search results cause IE to be redirected
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Clicking on Google search results cause IE to be redirected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A Couple of Things To Try..

mobkins..

Setting aside the other scanners you tried, you originally stated you also ran Avast and McAfee. Were you referring to McAfee's Stinger? Or do you still have McAfee's software installed? According to one of your posts from last year, you had McAfee installed at the time.

I'm unclear as to what happened with Avast. Did you just recently try to install it? The only reason I ask is, in case you weren't aware of it, only one anti-virus is recommended. Two are prone to causing conflicts, and a host of other problems.

As a start, I would suggest scanning with the below tools. Administrator Privileges are required to run both. (Right-click and "run as administrator")

Kaspersky's TDSSKiller. The instructions and download are here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Try scanning with ESET's Online Scanner. ESET'S FAQ and their Help section should answer any questions you might have.

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

Let us know how you make out..
Carol

- Collapse -
Google redirection problem

Thanks for replying Carol. I ran Kapersky, it only took 13 seconds, so I don't know if I did it right, but it found no infections. I started ESET, but it looked like it was going to be close to an hour, so I'll have to try again tomorrow. A litle uncomfortable having McAfee down for that long with a live Internet connection, do I need to worry?

I usually leave McAfee on while downloading/updating other third party detection software, pull the ethernet cable from my modem and shut down McAfee while running another scanner. All the other free scanners now seem to have some real-time functionality that they didn't use to, but I could turn the others off/exit the programs. Avast was different, and at least to this point, not any better, so I uninstalled it.

Thanks again, I'll post the results of the ESET scan tomorrow.

- Collapse -
Something Else To Try..

mobkins..

If Kaspersky's TDSSKiller, and ESET's scanner didn't find anything, scan with the following:

Symantec's free "Norton Power Eraser" tool:
http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.asp?lcid=1033

It's a simple (standalone) tool to use. Download the tool, and "save" it to your desktop. When you "run" it, you will be asked to accept the license agreement. Do so.

Click on the small dropdown arrow, to the right of "Scan". From the "System Scan" and "Directory Scan" options, choose "System Scan". Run the scan.

IF the System Scan, fails to find anything, run the "Directory Scan" by choosing your system drive (generally "C").

If you feel an item on the "to be fixed" list, is not a security risk, uncheck the "Fix" box. Otherwise, follow the tool's recommendation. Or, if in doubt, you can always ask. Another good feature of the tool is its "undo" feature.

Carol

- Collapse -
ESET worked

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was able to run the ESET Online Scanner last night. It said it detected Windows Defender running (I've never started that program) and McAfee (which I had completely disabled) so I was a little worried, but it found 5 items:

Games\Farm Mania\Farm-WT.exe a variant of Win32/Kryptik.SH trojan
WildTangent\528821fe-58e4-439c-81de-49f36a16aa12-extr.exe a variant of Win32/Kryptik.SH
trojan
Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\21\19277655-299027ad probably a variant of
Java/TrojanDownloader.Agent.AB trojan
authwinsvc.exe a variant of Win32/Kryptik.HNW trojan
Startup\apistreamadsl.exe a variant of Win32/Kryptik.HNW trojan

I don't know if they're all related, but I had ESET delete all, and the redirection has stopped.

I noticed when I checked in on ESET's progress, there was almost zero internet traffic (according to my modem lights, just an occassional 'send' blip). Once the scanner has started, do you know if you can close the internet connection? I still don't like not having any firewall for over an hour, but it didn't seem to cause any problems, and I would use ESET again.

Thanks again Carol for your help.
Thanks for responding Grif, I'll keep Hitman Pro on my list of things to try in the future.

Mike

- Collapse -
Good News..

Hi Mike..

No worries with Windows Defender being detected "as running". When you disabled McAfee, Windows Defender became enabled by default. In turn, when you re-enabled McAfee after the scan, Windows Defender should (again) be disabled.

There is NO need to turn off your firewall, prior to a scan. Your real-time A/V - yes. But not the firewall. It's not going to interfere with the removal process. I'm presuming you asked about closing your connection, due to the lack of a firewall. As long as you're not doing anything else online during the scan, and you re-enable McAfee after scanning, you should be fine.

If you still wish to know if it's possible, to effectively scan in the manner you described, I would have to look into it further. My instincts say "no", but I can't say that with 100% certainty .

I would also suggest scanning with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, as long as you have it installed. It certainly wouldn't hurt to run Hitman Pro, as Grif suggested. One of the two, might pick up something ESET failed to.

http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3-32-bit/3000-2239_4-10895604.html

As a last precaution, reset Windows Hosts file. Using Microsoft's Fix It makes it very simple to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Let us know how you make out..
Carol

- Collapse -
We've Found This To Work..

CNET Forums

Forum Info