Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

clicking of floppy drive, and can't install 98SE

by crashking / February 23, 2004 1:31 PM PST

I have a old Gateway, given to me, 433Mhz 66buss speed, the floppy drive just started clicking one day, and windows wouldn't load, sometimes after 4 or 5 reboods, well I formated the hard drive, cleaned out the computer of all dirt and dust, replaced hard drive, all the ribbon cables, new bios filmware, and it still clicking, and I can't install 98SE, anybody got any ideas, also anybody know where i can get the bios settings, none in the book, tried default still won't install I took the serial number to gateway, I have all the info. on what's installed, but no bios settings, you think I have a bad floppy drive or a cd/rom. 3 Tec. can't find the problen, and it's not worth paying gateway to fix it.. HELP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: clicking of floppy drive, and can't install 98SE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: clicking of floppy drive, and can't install 98SE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:clicking of floppy drive, and can't install 98SE
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2004 4:15 PM PST

This looks like some hardware problem (but "can't install 98SE' is utterly vague), so let's start simple.

1. Take your Windows 98 boot diskette (or download a program to make one from www.bootdisk.com).
2. Set the BIOS to boot from A: first and boot from the boot diskette. Choose cd-support if asked for. Note any error message and note the drive-letter assigned to the cd-drive (could be e: or r:, or anything, depending on the bootdisk used).
3. Put a cd in the drive. Note any error message.
4. Run DOS-diagnostics for A: (dir a:, chkdsk a: ).
5. Run DOS-diagnostics for 'new' hard drive. Should be partitioned and formatted, of course, so do that before if necessary.
6. Do a dir on the cd (no other DOS-diagnostics).
7. If Gateway has them: run other hardware diagnostics from diskette.
8. Reboot from the boot-diskette and choose to install Windows 98 from the CD.

Tell the forum all the results, with as much detail and exactness as appropriate.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:clicking of floppy drive, and can't install 98SE
by Livewire / February 25, 2004 11:14 AM PST

Try this is your floppy light staying on if it is you have the cable installed backwards, just revers one of the cables ends. If your light isn't on then check to see if it detecting in the bios setup go to bios feature setup and look for boot sequence. the first boot device is the floopy the second is hard drive the third is cdrom. look also on the ide and periphal and look for to see if the flopyy is enable. and save your changes. If this don't fix it you got a bady floppy or a dirty one. replace the floppy drive and cable they are cheap around $20.00 or less for the floppy and about $5.00 for the cable. Try that if it still clinking you might have a bad floppy controler.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!