Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Clicking a URL not working

When I click a hyperlink from within a web page, i.e. a link to pbase from within the Nikon Talk forum, all I get is a medium sized transparent frame, the clicked on URL does not show in the address bar of the resulting frame.

The action goes no farther no matter how long I wait.

I have no pop-up blocker running except the one that Google provides . . . deactivating that has no effect.

Your help will be appreciated.

Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clicking a URL not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clicking a URL not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try repairing your IE

In reply to: Clicking a URL not working

Add/Remove Programs > highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer > click Add/Remove > select Repair > Next > OK.

Reboot when finished and test.

Zee

Collapse -
Try repairing your IE

In reply to: Try repairing your IE

Thanks for the response.

Are you saying that after deleting IE it will reinstall itself on reboot?

Will the updates be included?

Collapse -
Not really

In reply to: Try repairing your IE

When you click Add/Remove (From IE5 onwards) you will be shown a window where you can select Repair and proceed.

Zee

Collapse -
Repairing IE didn't do it . . .

In reply to: Not really

is there a box that needs ticking/unticked to stop this very annoying condition?

Collapse -
Troubleshooter

In reply to: Repairing IE didn't do it . . .

Source: http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Open Windows Explorer.

Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.

Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.

Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.

Select 'open'.

Click Edit.

''Application used to perform this action'' should read:

''C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe'' -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
''%1'',,-1,0,,,,

IExplore

#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

If that doesn't help, see this website:

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

I hope these may sort out that problem.

Good luck,

Zee

Collapse -
After reading through this thread...

In reply to: Clicking a URL not working

I wonder (since you are able to post) if your comment -
When I click a hyperlink from within a web page, i.e. a link to pbase from within the Nikon Talk forum, all I get is a medium sized transparent frame, the clicked on URL does not show in the address bar of the resulting frame. is accurate or if you mean JUST THAT SPECIFIC HYPERLINK.

If so a link to the page it is on would help. Failing that, what shows in the browser's status bar at the bottom of the window when you hover the cursor over that specific link?

HINT - Javascript links will often fail if the user tries to open the link in a new window, or even worse if you dont have javascript it wont work at all

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.