Computer Help forum

General discussion

clearing streamed media

by dinnertime2 / March 21, 2011 8:32 AM PDT

How do you clear streamed videos on windows media player? I've got the history folder cleared but when I play a video you can click on previous list and it goes back to some old videos that shouldn't be there......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: clearing streamed media
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: clearing streamed media
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would use a utility to do this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 11:45 PM PDT

This is an MRU list, or "Most Recently Used", and there are, or should be, options within WMP and within Windows itself to manage such lists. But finding these options is not always easy.

So I would use a file-cleaning utility that also deletes such lists. There are many, but the one we recommend more than others is CCleaner, from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

It's a free utility, but if you choose this, just watch the install process carefully. Sometimes CCleaner will offer some 'extra' like a browser toolbar or an anti-virus scan, that you don't need. Make sure you remove any such offer during the install process.

With CCleaner you can safely remove unwanted temp files and temporary internet files, and other things like mru lists. The image below shows the "Applications" part of the opening page which has Windows Media Player selected by default. Sorry, the image isn't that large;
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Ohh, and another caution
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 11:46 PM PDT

Sorry, it's a good utility but it is powerful.

If you simply run it, it will delete all your browser Cookies. You may want to keep some so goto its Options page first to save the ones you want.

Mark

Collapse -
It worked
by dinnertime2 / March 23, 2011 5:06 AM PDT

I downloaded the ccleaner program and it cleared out the streamed history just fine. If you play a video and don't loop it the windows media player gives the option at the end of the video to play again, go to library or play previous list. You could click on previous list infinitely and find old videos streamed from online even though my history was cleared out and all cookies deleted. It was frustrating trying to figure this out. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked
Collapse -
Media player
by pgc3 / March 22, 2011 12:47 AM PDT

And you tried right clicking on media player icon, then right clicking on item and then clicked remove from list?

Collapse -
If you clear all the history,
by ahtoi / March 22, 2011 2:32 AM PDT

How did you get the "previous list"? Maybe not all history has been removed? But if you go back to the video site, their server may have all your list of video. Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Some one mention about "remove" and "update" on their server is needed. I think that's how it work with Netflix (don't know about the other). Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.