Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cleaning up your desktop

I figured I would do a winter cleaning on my desktop last night. Started to eliminate a lot of desktop clutter. Started to organize my desktop into major folders and subfolders and stuffed everything else into these various folders that I named and renamed.

Bottom line was I reduced my desktop clutter from over one hundred down to only 21 desktop folders. Great !
Not! Now where the heck did my sub-sub folders go to and where are my files located?

I should have waited until spring to do this.

Now, I cannot find Jack!

Anyone have this happen to them? So frustrating to look through all the folders in place of my old cluttered desktop. I loved my old desktop being cluttered. There, I could find every file in a heartbeat!
So much for cleaning up my desktop! :

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cleaning up your desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cleaning up your desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would use Go Back

In reply to: Cleaning up your desktop

When I do something like that Go Back puts it back together for me.
My desktop is filled with loads of files and folders with one nice picture in the middle.

Collapse -
Nice tip Sasha...

In reply to: I would use Go Back

... but Kevin uses a mac as do I.

Tip from Mac World Kevin... OS X uses more ram to maintain files and folders stored on the desktop than if you store them in your Documents/Pictures/Music/Movie folders. I'm bad about dropping stuff on my desktop too... just like my real office Grin

grim

Collapse -
Nice Tip?

In reply to: Nice tip Sasha...

Grim, I knew I was in trouble as soon as I started my cleanup.
Not really worried about ram. Plenty with 30G.

Sasha Tee offered a solution. I thought, what back? OK, PC.
You and I do not have that option with a Mac.
Now all I have to be is a better housekeeper.

Where did that file go that I sent Grim?
I will find it in the year 2008! :

Collapse -
I keep all my desktops clean

I have a /usr folder with subfolders that I keep everything in with a single icon to my usr folder. This way I never need to clean my desktop.

Collapse -
(NT) That's disgusting ;-)

In reply to: I keep all my desktops clean

Collapse -
That's disgusting

In reply to: That's disgusting ;-)

Diana, Funny comment.
I think just overly neat.
I like the clutter until my desktop rearranges itself. Happened last week. All the folders were scattered in different positions across my screen. It was like someone wanted to sabotage me!!

The next day I cleaned up my desktop.
Now ask me where your Diana Folder is? Beats the heck out of me!!!!
I can always use the Mac Spotlight (finder) if I have to.
That is way too easy and not much of a challenge. I like to open thousands of folders looking for you! :

Collapse -
I've never even SEEN a Mac

so have no idea what a Mac desktop would look like, but evidently you do not have a toolbar such as QuickLaunch that Windows uses.

If you have the ability to create a toolbar like QuickLaunch, and you can expand it like I do, you could put all the shortcuts to files and programs onto it instead of the desktop. I would DIE without QuickLaunch. I use the autohide feature for the taskbar so it only pops up when I hover my mouse over it with immediate access to everything I want via the icons there, which also state what the icon is for when hovered over.

One of the features of Windows also has tooltip balloons that when a mouse is hovered over a folder will show you the contents of that folder, including subfolders inside that folder. Does a Mac have that also?

http://www.pcwarfare.com/private.pics/mytaskbar.jpg

Snapshot of mine...

TONI

Collapse -
There are programs for macs...

In reply to: I've never even SEEN a Mac

... that do much the same as the quick launch function you mention.

For that matter every window that you open in a native mac folder has a quick launch bar sitting on the left hand side. You can drag any folder into that bar and access it from any other window. Even cooler(more cool?)... you can move the folder physically from desktop to other places... and the launch bar will automatically update the link so your shortcut never goes bad!

Don't forget Kevin... since you have upgraded to Tiger, Spotlight will find many of your files based on whatever search criteria you choose Grin

grim

Collapse -
Grim, Spotlight?

In reply to: There are programs for macs...

is really cool. I do use it a lot. Such a handy tool.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Toni, Your desktop is too organized?

In reply to: I've never even SEEN a Mac

How the heck can you read those tiny icons?
Any way of increasing the size so that I would not have to use a nagnifying glass? I will bet there is.

Toni, here is a before and after image of my desktop (recreated for the before image) i guess I can find my files after all.

Desktop Cleaning Before & After

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/237/desktopbeforegk3.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3040/desktopafterzn7.jpg

That strange looking bar on the left of the screen is called the DOCK.
Set up to your choice of what the Mac User wants to have on it.
I can hide it and position it anywhere on the edges of the screen. I can access my Apps from this dock and launch the App. Very neat! Gets rid of desktop clutter also.
On the very bottom is the trash folder. Towards the top you will see my browsers. Safari, Firefox, Seamonkey and VLC. Below that is Dashboard that lets me into hunreds of internet useful sites that are used as tools as well as weather reports from local and Europe.I have mine set for Abington. MA and Brussels, Belgium.
Next is text edit. Drop any Microsoft doc. on it and it will turn the doc. into simple text without any formatting. Good tool.

The others in decending order are Adobe Photoshop V6., Photoshop V7, Quark Express, Adobe Illustrator, Preview (used to view image files),Mail system, address book, i Calender,Quicktime player, Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat Distiller, Microsoft Word X (Many variations here to put the full Office), Cannon Image Browser, System Prefs, Canon Camera Window (for my second Canon Camera),SKYPE ,itunes, my printer, Apple OSX, itunes that I have playing righ now and finally the trash.

This dock can be customized as anyone wants to do.

The Mac has the ability of readingto a degree but will not go to sub folders.
I have a one-button mouse. If I click on a file while I hold down the control key, a screen comes up the same as right clicking the mouse using a PC. Simple.

Toni, Grim or I could have you up and running a Mac in about a day so that you would feel real comfortable using it.
I do have an old PC that I use for games only now.
I had used it for Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat as well as Microsoft Office and other apps. Never want to get rid of that ancient computer running Windows 95.
Toni, I saw a smile on your face. Like I said?use it for games only.

I can run a PC with help.
I run a Mac professionally as a Graphic Designer. Grim does also.

You wouldn't believe who is a Mac fan. Bob Proffitt.
Who would have thought?

Toni, If you really want to see how a Mac works and enjoy it, than just purchase the newly introduced iphone in June.
Simply amazing.

Leave it to Steve Jobs. Has some neat partners with Google, Singular, AT&T plus Yahoo.

I will purchase one in desperation. I hate Cell phones!!! I do not own one at all. My wife has one. Comes in handy while making weekend calls. FREE!
Or let me put it in perspective: I hate all the idiots that are on a cell phone while attempting to drive their vehicle.
Screeeechh?BOOM/CRUNCH/BANG! Tow Truck!

Welcome back from vacation.

-Kevin

Collapse -
I was going to suggest

In reply to: Toni, Your desktop is too organized?

that you increase the width of your dock and drag your folders there to eliminate even more desk clutter, until I read that Mac's don't do subfolders and some of your desktop folders have them.

Windows also has an instant toolbar (your dock) that can be created to be used just like QuickLaunch (or in addition to it) by just dragging our My Computer icon all the way to the left of the screen. The My Computer icon stays put on the desktop, but now it also has a subfolder view of that icon. You can go into Windows Explorer, create a new folder called Tools (or whatever, such as Games)in the root of C: or with XP under your username for individual users, drag your desktop stuff to each folder you create for various topics/subjects, and on the desktop, right click inside the instant toolbar and browse to the folders you created to add them to the toolbar. Once created, the entire toolbar now has all the rest of your desktop items neatly laid out with the instant toolbar down one side (you can create more around the other side and at the bottom or top of the screen depending on where your taskbar is) so that your desktop actually is 'bordered'. And each can be on autohide so your real estate is the entire screen until you need to get to the toolbar. The only bad part about those toolbars is that they don't jump to being on top of any open windows like QuickLaunch does so you would have to continuously get back to the desktop to get to any of them.

I don't use text under my icons that are in my toolbars or QuickLaunch....when I hover my mouse over any of them, the tooltip balloon shows up telling me what that icon represents...either the text document name or the program connected to it if it's the executable to start it, or the folder name and path it leads to. Any and all of them can be rightclicked to see the whole path of that shortcut so I can see what harddrive or partition it's on and that can be edited if I've moved the original file/program to another drive during my own housecleaning and forgot to change the shortcut....however, if I leave windows alone after left clicking it to start the program or open the file, it will do the searching for me and correct the path itself. With five harddrives and all partitioned, it's less time consuming for me to manually do that. lol

Like I said...I would die without QuickLaunch...and I would have a desktop completely covered in icons. Then if I had to get to a forum tip in a hurry, I would have to minimize my open forum window just to find it. QuickLaunch turns up immediately upon hovering my mouse near it since it's on autohide all the time to give me as much real estate as possible.

I get no cellphone signal at my house in the mountain so I've never owned one and probably never will. As it is, I just got an Ipod Shuffle (smallest one they have) and wouldn't have that except I got it for cost of shipping only when I had DirecTV installed. It just arrived the day I got home and I just started downloading Itunes, charged it up, and began reading about how to convert/transfer some of my music to it so it will be ready for spring when I have to sit on the rider to mow the grass again for a couple of hours at a whack. lol It's the only Apple anything I see in my future for right now except for what falls out of my trees that I can make tons of apple pie mix out of ahead of time for the freezer. lol

I have to admit thought.....I was very tempted to click on some of your icons. Some looked really interesting. heheheheh

TONI

Collapse -
I was going to suggest?

In reply to: I was going to suggest

that you be a professor at some Microsoft College.
Toni, thanks for the run-down using Windows.
If ever I need to run Windows again I want you as my instructor.

Very easy to follow and understand your descriptions. So simple!
So neat!!!
Now I have to take a look at my desk top again. Some folders do have some pretty interesting info in them.
One is titled CNET POSTS & STUFF.
Saved links like these:

From Joe Randolph on how to set your SD500 Camera to Superfine:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=169062&messageID=1870353

MAGIC SHIELD LINK:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=166246&messageID=1841368

Sorry Glenda. Please go to the the Mac forum and check out??Any Weirdness Showing up while using Safari?
Glenda, I will try to find the exact post & the link for you.
If I loose this post while searching I will send you the info in a minute or so. Please be patient. Searching?????????
Ah ha, success.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6126-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=164138&messageID=1815388

Thanks Toni,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Something strange

Hi Kevin, you should be happy you're not using a PC because very weird things happen when you're not looking. I hit the Start button and on the very top of the menu that opened, a picture of my dog is sitting there as Owner of my PC. I don't remember giving her that authority.

Collapse -
Somethings are the same

In reply to: Something strange

Sasha, When I start up my Mac OSX, there is a user icon of a brown & white dog. The head is tilted as saying DURR!!!???
Stupid mutt never barks. Just says DURR-DURR!!
That's me?? :

Collapse -
desktop cleaner provided by another se member

Collapse -
desktop cleaner?

In reply to: desktop cleaner provided by another se member

Woodhicks, The link was so funny to watch. just GREAT!!!
And, FUNNY!!! :

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.